The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln, Shaffer's1950, walter74, J Lucas), 76 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,406
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#802544 12/01/2011 2:11 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 11
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 11
I'm looking into buying a 51 Suburban project. I'd like to build it into something that I can get in and drive anywhere. My first question, is it possible to do that without putting it on an S10 chassis or is that the best way to go?

Second question, what parts go with the rear side windows? If the parts are missing what are the options?

Third question, are the running boards the same as on the trucks?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
1. There are about a thousand options and I would rate S10 chassis as about #843. It's been running on original suspension for 60 years and who knows where it's been but I would bet "Anywhere" is on the list.

2. Some of the burb owners will chime in I'm sure.

3. No, I think they are different but I may be proven wrong.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I don't know much about the s10 frame swap,a lot guys are doing it.I opted to rebuild my steering and suspension,brakes to stock standards.I'm still thinking about the front disc brake conversion.Another option I'm told adding a brake booster to the stock drum brake system makes a remarkable difference.I put a third member out of a 1958 1/2 ton Chevy with 3:90 gear ratio coupled to a 13-52-145 t5 s10 transmission.

As far as parts for the rear side windows,we need to see pictures to figure out what you're missing.Parts can be found,some take longer than others.They sell a one piece window kit as well,it eliminates the sliding windows"ebay truckman4787".

The 1/2 ton truck running boards are the same as the suburban.

I can drive my old suburban anywhere at anytime with no problems.It does really good on the highway and keeps up with traffic.

Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

1. I use 3.55 ring&pinion conversion gears in the rear end and can cruise at 60-65MPH all day. I find my original brakes to work fine (ALL new parts in the brake system and front end and in front/rear suspension).

2. Post photos of what you have, as suggested by Tim, above.

3. Running boards are the same as on all 1/2 ton Chevrolet & GMC trucks from 1947-1955.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 11
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 11
Here's a link to what I'm looking at. No engine or trans, most of the glass is there but broken. Steering column is there but not in the pictures. I have a 235 laying around with a powerglide, have a 327 and a th350 somewhere. I would really like to go with something fuel injected though. I really want to build it reliable enough to be a daily driver, comfortable enough to throw the wife and kids in and drive a couple hours.

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/jazn_84/Suburban/

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I have driven my '54 burb over 10,000 miles this year with the stock six and stock suspension. It has a late '50s 3-speed OD and power front discs. I drove it to Phoenix, South Bend, El Reno, Kansas City and drove the Lonestar Loop 1000 through the Texas hill country as well as countless local shows and a 160 mile round trip to an Inliners meeting each month.



"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Originally Posted by Jazn
I'm looking into buying a 51 Suburban project. I'd like to build it into something that I can get in and drive anywhere.

My first question, is it possible to do that without putting it on an S10 chassis or is that the best way to go? Keeping the original frame has pro's and con's as already stated. It will drive like a truck with the original suspension or you can soften the ride by putting a modern front clip with a-frame and coils. Once you start modifying the frame you will have new options: power steering, disc brakes, tilt wheel etc. But keeping the original suspension also helps retain the value of an original burb, disc brakes can be purchased and some options can still be made.

Second question, what parts go with the rear side windows? There are stainless handles and stainless window sweeps ( 1948/53 - 4 combination sweep/handles ) (1954/55 4 handles and 4 sweeps) If the parts are missing what are the options? Putting in a one piece window (especially if you put in A/C) or placing an ad in our swap meet section or looking on ebay etc.

Third question, are the running boards the same as on the trucks? Yes, the 1/2 ton running boards are the same excepting for minor mounting differences.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

That's a decent looking starter. The price is about right, but I would offer less because of some of the key missing parts and he has been trying to sell this for quite awhile. It looks like you will need a new gas tank if it has been sitting outside without a gas cap.

Take this with you when you go to look at it. SUBURBAN/PANEL/CANOPY EXPRESS CHECK LIST

Look in the gallery and some of the other sections to get an idea what has been done to these Suburbans. There are quite of few original parts still available for these and lot's of reproduction parts too.

Completed project * Weeds

Good post with pictures * pplummer


Good luck!


Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
....all good advice from guys who know!

For my two cents I'd like to make a comment that we, or should I say "I", drive our vehicles in stop and go situations for hundreds and even thousands of miles. Why would we think we could not make a "two hour ride" at one jaunt?? Thats when they get lubed up and run good!!
Just a perspective I have smile


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 144
T
Ter Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 144
Hey Achipmunk
I agree!!! Drive it!!!
Ter

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
s10/swapping frame Is #843, #1 Inspect and fix up with stock parts and drive, #2 add aftermarket, (built to function/look stock or be hidden) brakes, steering, wiring, bearings, etc. #3 (this one is for 55-59 and is my favorite), Add 73-87 front and rear axles and make it a 4x4 without changing frame. Changing frame has many, many problems adapting to all the stock systems, I.E. brake/clutch pedals, fuel tank, fuel filler, trans, steering, ebrake, body mounts, radiator, engine, bumpers, wheel fits into wheel well. I have done #1,#2 and #3 and studied #843(not for me, too hybrid)
P.S. All my experience is on Suburbans and Panel trucks 55-59. Hope my analysis applies to AD.
GMONIZ? where did he say price?


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
I find with projects, the more you take on out of the gate, the less likelihood you'll have at completing it before you die.

The S10 frame swap is fine if that's what you want, but honestly, finding a clean and complete suburban would be more important to me unless you don't plan on using all of the factory original parts.

I guess it depends on what you want. Personally, I wouldn't do a frame swap unless my frame was rotten, and I wouldn't start with a rotten frame unless somebody gave me a complete truck.

Last edited by pplummer; 12/15/2011 5:10 PM.

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0