The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, tricordati, Pre '68 Dave), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,477
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#792476 10/26/2011 7:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Hello,

I tested the radio on the bench and it turns out that it works. I found 2 power wires. Where do I plug the one in that just turns on the light? Do I connect it to the gauges or with the other power wire? Also is there anything I should do to the radio before installing it? Its still six volts and it looks to have all the original wiring in it.
Thanks,
Chris


1950 chevrolet 3100
1951 chevrolet suburban carryall
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
The lamp wire connects to the light switch, the original radio wire had a fuse holder that screwed on to the amp meter, many times these have been replaced or missing as most people couldn't figure it out! .If this radio has not been serviced in many years ,IT WILL NEED it! at least a new buffer, trying to play it as is could cause futher damage, I do JIM CARTER's CLASSIC TRUCK PARTS radio work ,I've had to do many a radio repair on damage that could have been avoided, if the set had been properly restored first.

BILL #792511 10/26/2011 9:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

I connect the radio light-bulb wire to a dash light wire, that way they dim when you dim the dash lights. In 1954, I think that the accessory clock's light-lead came with a "vampire" clamp to attached to the a convenient "rheostated" dash-light lead.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Thanks guys for the informaion! Bill, what do you recommend I change to not cause damage?
Chris


1950 chevrolet 3100
1951 chevrolet suburban carryall
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
Your wax condencers start with the buffer,goes across the rectifier, .006mf at 1600 volt, then check your electrolycs, filters.

BILL #793261 10/29/2011 3:19 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Wow youll have to forgive me. I have no idea what any of that stuff is. Where is the best place to purchase all of this stuff?


1950 chevrolet 3100
1951 chevrolet suburban carryall
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Here's a link to an absolutely great site, by Phil Nelson.

http://www.antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

Your local library should have some books about radio restoration, and Phil even lists some.

I might sound like the nerd that I am here when I say that its quite a thrill to here Perry Como start coming out of the radio.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you look at the chassis of the radio where all the components are mounted, you will see round cylinder shaped objects, usually yellow in color and covered in wax. These are the paper capacitors. There are also some other types but I can talk about them later. If you get a circuit of the radio, each of these capacitors is listed in the parts list, the circuit diagram shows where they are connected and usually there is a diagram of where they are on the chassis. These are usually replaced because they dry out and short. Quite a few members here have successfully done this work on thier truck radio. We have walked some of them through the process and helped when they are stuck.

I buy my capacitors from a place on the net called "just capacitors". The rest of my parts I usually get from Antique electronic Supply. If you want to give it a go, I would be glad to help you out, on the site here.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Thanks for the link! Ill see if I can locate some circuit diagrams. So these are the things to change out:wax condencers,buffer,electrolycs,filters and capacitors. Correct me if im wrong. Thanks again for your help.
Chris


1950 chevrolet 3100
1951 chevrolet suburban carryall
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Does your radio have a back that has a slanting parting line along the sides? If so, here is an online version of the manual.
Online 47 Radio Manual . If your radio has the straight vertical parting line, let me know and I will see if I have a scan of the manual.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Condenser=capacitor

buffer=specific capacitor

electrolytic=specific kind of capacitor

filter=capacitor (often electrolytic, in power supply)





Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Just to add some more to this description, the electrolytic capacitors in this radio reside in a metal can that is attached to the chassis. The "buffer" capacitor resides under the metal cover, in the vicinity of the vibrator and 0Z4 tube. This particular capacitor has a voltage rating musch higher than the rest, usually around 1600 volts.All the yellow wax covered capacitors are rolled paper capacitors and they should all be treated as suspect.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The reference I made to the online radio manual above is incorrect. That radio is the 1951 to 53 radio, model 986443. The circuit is different than the 1947 to 50 radio. My apologies.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
0
New Guy
New Guy
0 Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Thanks guys for the info. Truckernix is kind enough to help me out with rebuilding the radio. Anyone have the scans for the 986067 radio. Im going to order the one from the parts dealers but would like to get started as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Chris


1950 chevrolet 3100
1951 chevrolet suburban carryall

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0