Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (kades51, Southerntruck, Gray_Ghost, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, JW51, MRMEROTH11),
82
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,396 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | Since there's a thread on rears, I have a question on metal fronts. I noticed that ones being sold today have a wrap or fold over mated side under the headlight opening. Why the heck are they doing that now? And how do you make it look right? See the link from Classic.JC is the same. http://www.classicparts.com/1947-53-Fender-Front-Left/productinfo/37-115/
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | I can't specifically answer your question but I had never noticed this before UNTIL a fellow bolter came by the house to pick up a couple AD front fenders. These fenders were/are definitley OLD. No question about it. As we looked them over real close we seen the "seam". At first we thought it was just a repair but it was not. BOTH fenders were the same way.....now, my panel fenders were blasted but honestly I did not notice this on them...but then I wasn't looking at them as close as my body man.
It appeared that those fenders were that way to begin with. As we studied them we wondered how could the fender be "formed" or stamped out like it is without a seam???
I'm sure we will hear more on this. Stay tuned, I am.
Last edited by Achipmunk; 10/11/2011 7:42 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 169 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 169 | Willing to bet the reason for that seem on the repops is to simplify the stamping process.
I have about four pairs of OEM front fenders. Some have a seem running from the headlamp opening to the grille, about a 2 inch seem others don't have the seem. But none of the OEM fenders I've seen have the seem that the repops have...Eric | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | The 1954 reproduction front fenders that I recently bought also had the seams. The original 1954 front fenders did not.
We plan (but, our plans might change) to remove the EDP at the seams, weld the seams, fill/finish over the welds, re-prime, etc. Or, we might just fill over the seams/spot-welds and prime/paint.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | One nice thing about chemical stripping is that it doesn’t remove any detail from the original metal. If there had been a weld seam under the headlight it would have certainly been evident after I got mine back from the chemical bath. And before they were primed I cleaned the inside and outside of both my 1950 front fenders with Scothbrite pads and solvent. I’ve welded literally all of my life, much of it as a trade. I‘ve done every type of welding, gas, stick, mig, tig, spot and brazing and soldering. It really is impossible to hid a seam like that because any weld bead leaves the metal in a cast condition as opposed to the grain structure created in the sheet from the cold rolling operation. The surface is lightly etched during the chemical operation so you would clearly see the different grain structures. In short I’d bet the farm that they were not originally welded. They were probably formed in several different operations, the last being a die to finish forming the nose of the fender and blank out the headlight opening. The after market fenders are made with a seam most likely because they could eliminate two or three of the forming operations meaning less die work. Also the factory reproduction is not made with material that was as thick as the original. A deep drawing operation to create a seamless fender like the GM plant was setup to perform would have thinned the metal out to much in some spots using a lighter gauge sheet. If there had been a seam from the factory it would have been directly to the inside of the headlight and into the top corner of the grill opening. You can almost take a flat piece of paper and form the fender if you put a seam there and I don't see why they didn't put it there in the reproduction. . I see no reason that the seam couldn’t be filled so it wasn’t visible under the paint. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/11/2011 11:47 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | Interesting info Denny. I know my '50 originals have no seam visible in or outside. I suppose as you suggest the seam can be filled although it appears a large amount of fill either metal or bondo would be needed. A good body man could make it presentable I would think.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Not that big of a problem Drew. Although I haven't had the occasion to do one my self I have a friend that used the reproduced fenders on his ‘50 show truck, it had a seam at the front and they welded it and filled it and you couldn't tell it was ever there. I don't recall what the seam looked like because they had the work done before I saw it. I'm sure that it wasn't just overlapped without using an offset flange to make the two surfaces flush. The other way they could be is simply to have 90° flanges turned in at the edge and then spot weld them. Either way it wouldn't be a problem to make it disappear. DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/13/2011 12:19 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
| |