So how many times have you heard the story about those troublesome reproduction
headlight bezel seals and poorly made spring clips?
Seems to me I’ve heard it from about everyone that’s replaced them. Well now its my
turn and I’m the one that‘s doing the “whining”, using a favorite term of some people,
which I assume means just suck it up and quit complaining about the garbage that the
vendors are selling us.
I was fortunate because my original spring clips were in great shape, basically just some
dirt and what not blown up behind, no problem with rust and no need to use the
reproduction spring clips which are usually a pain also.
But I sure was doing battle with the reproduction rubber, trying to talk it into staying in
place on the flange when I put the clips on, they kept pushing the rubber out over the
flange, and they still do. I’m thinking that there are only two ways to solve the problem,
one is to make new rubber seals myself that fit properly and the other is to make clips that
grab a larger diameter seal. I’m still debating which way I’m gonna go with this one.
The reason is once again, a miss made, miss formed rubber part. The original rubber is
much smaller and fit’s the center reinforcement wire almost like it’s formed around it.
The reproduction part has a large hole in the center probably so it was easier to thread the
wire into it. And the result is that it’s to large to fit behind the flange and wants to roll
over the edge when the spring clip pushes down on it.
Top clip not fitting oversized rubber seal:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/138419306 Bottom clip not fitting oversized rubber seal:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/138419307 Rubber seal improperly copied, round cross section to large to fit behind and into the
back of the bezel:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/138419308 Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL