The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guitplayer, Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, Gdads51), 106 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,271
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 42
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 42
Newbie here with a question about rear end gear ratios. Building a '50 3100 with a '57 235 and a 4-speed manual tranny. The current rear is too wide and is a 6-lug (front end is now a 5 lug). Looking for a rear from a 67 - 79 Camaro, Nova, etc. Wondering what is the best gear ratio. Truck will be a daily driver, I live in New England so many hills, but also will be in the highway frequently. Was hoping for your thoughts.
Thanks.


Newbie
1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 224
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 224
That is a pretty comin topic around here. Do a topic search and read through some of the threads.

Most usually go for the 4.10 rear from 67-72 trucks.


Dave Baird
1951 Chevy 3803

Foot starters are for Stovebolters and people who need a kick in the ...
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I went from 4.11 to 3.55. Great for local highway driving.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
go online and find a speed / rpm calculator, there are lots of them out there. Then figure the speed in which you plan to drive most in. Gear the truck so its in its power band at the speed you wish to drive. 235's are most efficient in the 2100 to 2300 rpm band. Gear it to high and the motor has to work to hard, to low and you are wasting rpm.

I would think a 3.08, 3.23, 3.42 would be about right with the 3.42 for real hilly and 3.08 for flatter ground.

I run a 3.08 with a 250 engine, its fairly flat and mostly highways so I can keep up at 70 pretty easy. Around town its a little doggy, but I can live with that. I changed out a 3.42 to the 3.08, highway driving was much easier and less stressful.

Joe

Last edited by Joe H; 09/09/2011 3:18 PM.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Previous topic

Custom search Read through this to find more topics on the subject, post back what you find.

Tire size is important too!

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I think about 3.42 area would be about right. A lot depends on tire size but most are around 27-29in. in diameter.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0