The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7781 03/22/2004 11:43 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
After I fixed the last problems with my truck (76 Chevy with a 454 and auto trans)it ran well. About 2 weeks later while I was driving home from work it stalled. But before it stalled it sputtered a few times. I would try to start it and same thing. After spraying some gumout in it, it ran fine the rest of the way home. I checked it this morning and drove it around and it was fine. But again on my way home from work it did the same thing. I didn't get it home tonight. My questions are, Is this from the carb or something else? Those this happen because its alittle damper and cooler at night(Southern California)? What can I do to fixs this problem

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
If it's a condensation problem, a can of "dry gas" added to the tank will clear it up ... when it gets cold and damp out, my truck can run horribly -- the dry gas clears it right up.


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
Assuming you have the original Rochester carb:

Q-Jets as a general rule have no personality. They either work or they don't. Also, the engine should run BETTER, not worse, under damp cooler conditions (more oxygen).

Possibilities:

Partially clogged fuel filter
Partially clogged fuel sock in tank
Ignition
Icing (rare with a large 8, but it does occur, particularly if headers and/or aftermarket aircleaner)

If the "dry gas" (alcohol) is helping, I would try a tank of gasoline from a different source. Here is Missouri the humidity often exceeds the temperature, and I have not ever needed (in fact avoid) the alcohol in over 40 years of driving.

Jon.


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
well I went today and tryied it again. Its warmer out and same thing. It took me awhile to get it started and when it started I let it idle for 10 mins, when I started to drive off, after about maybe 100 yards same thing. I then had it running and when I took off the air fliter to put some GumOut in it, it sounded like alot of air was coming out and it sputtered again and thats when I stopped. The Igintion is good, but it seams like its not getting gas. I have both tanks on full. What are some ideas I can try? Where would I get the Dry Gas at and is it called dry gas or another name?

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
u done the fuel filter? I think you should start with that - its relatively easy. And if you don't know/remember when it was done, then it probably needs doing. Engine will idle with fuel filter partially clogged, but once it has a demand, the bowl will empty, not get replenished, and then stall.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
Well, I changed the fuel fliter and it ran for about a day and the same problems. The sputter and it dies. I can start it every once and awhile, but then will die after like 3 mins of driving. I have no Idea what it could be, do you ?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
When it dies, can you spray some starting fluid in the carb (or pour some gas in) and get it to start again? If so, it's a fuel feed problem and could be the fuel pump.

Another thing to check. Is the choke opening fully when it's warmed up? Could be that it's running too rich.

Some stuff to check.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 56
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 56
Check the crankcase oil level to see if it is above full and smells like gas. If it is your fuel pump is leaking. This will cause an engine to stop while running and will also keep it from starting.

If no gas is in the oil try to start it as usual. If it won't start spray some carb carb cleaner from a spray can into the carb with the choke held open. If the choke is closed this won't work. Don't pour gas into the carb it could backfire and start a huge fire.

If it starts with the carb cleaner and runs check that the choke plate opens after a few minutes as Asylum says above. However, if only the automatic choke were your problem it would start easily when cold.

If the choke plate opens ok and the engine stops after running a short time take off the air cleaner and move the throttle quickly a couple of times to see if it sprays gas into the venturi. If not you have a fuel supply problem.

My first guess would be a bad condenser because I have had all these problems with condensers, but I think a '76 has HEI so that theory is no good if it has HEI. If you have a condenser, change it.

Be sure to let us know what you find out if you solve the problem.


'31 Chevy 1 1/2 ton,
'42 GMC 2 1/2 ton 6x4,
'52 GMC 2 1/2 ton 6x6,
'53 GMC 5 ton
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 32
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 32
one more thing to check is a leak at the carb base or at a gasket cauing a vacuum leak. you mention that the truck runs better shortly after spraying stuff down the carb, the spray may seal a vacuum leak for a short time.


1951 Chevy 3600, 1996 Yukon, 2000 Road King
It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you.
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery.htm
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
I changed the carb, now I just need to fine tune a few things and it will run great.

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
Hey, Salinaz

The "dry gas" I use comes in a red bottle and is called STP Gas Treatment. If it rains heavy in cold weather, I get condensation in my fuel lines, but if I add a bottle of the STP Gas Treatment it won't happen. I'm in New Jersey and when winter comes around, I buy a half dozen bottles handy ... I only used 3 bottles this winter.

What kind of carb did you put in? My 54 had a Rochester in it when I bought it ... I don't like Rochesters, so I put an Edelbrock in and never have to adjust it - my favorite carb.


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
ita a rochester, I dont like it much, but it works and thats all I care about now. I am stalling alot some times, what can I do to stop it? I adjusted the idle, but I think I need to do it again maybe.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 56
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 56
If you have changed carbs and are still stalling I think it is time to forget the carb and look at something else!!

Have you checked that you are getting plenty of fuel to the carb?

My money is still on something in the ignition system, either the coil or condenser if it has one. Sometimes it is nothing more than a loose connection in the primary ignition circuit. Happened to me on my dump truck, the wire into the ballast resistor was just loose enough to kill the engine once in a while.

Last but not least, if you don't have a repair manual for this truck you should get one. There were some important changes to GM engine tuning specs in the mid '70s not the least of which was spark plug gaps, timing advance. GM was trying to comply with emission standards and get the engines to run well, didn't do very well at either.


'31 Chevy 1 1/2 ton,
'42 GMC 2 1/2 ton 6x4,
'52 GMC 2 1/2 ton 6x6,
'53 GMC 5 ton
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 1,271
If you are stalling at idle, it's possible that you are running the carb too lean ... if you give it a little more gas and it clears up then you know you aren't getting any gas in the idle position - too lean.


~~ Alan Horvath
1954 Chevy Pickup
Singing his praises in the
Passing Lane
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Have you checked to see if you have good fuel flow through the fuel pump?
Sisnce you changed carbs,,, did you use a new carb or a used one?
If it was a new or rebuilt carb, I would check out the fuel tank the fuel lines and the fuel pump.
Now it is possible that you have a poor connection to the ignition feed from the battery. Look the connections over real well and with the truck running at idle, wiggle the wires and connections to see if you get anything to cause the engine to stall or die.
Be careful you don`t get zapped by the spark-plug wires eek
One more thing, check the wiring and connections close to the heat of the exhaust first so you do not get burned


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 10
I checked fuel lines, fuel pumps, distbutor, rotor, ignition coil and everything is fine. I adjusted the idle again and it was better today. No stalling. Now its a leak in the power sterling hose. But at least its not that hard to fix.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0