| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (Southerntruck, Gray_Ghost, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, JW51, MRMEROTH11, Mike Burns, KEVINSKI),
77
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,396 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 57 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2009 Posts: 57 | Hi fellas, Although I have a 66 C20 pickup, I think this question applies to all old trucks. Does anyone know a good place to buy a new speedometer cable that can be adjusted to my new ring and pinion? I took out the old Eaton rear end and put in a Dana 60 so I could put in a 3.54 ring and pinion. Now my speedo is way off, plus my old speedo cable is shot anyway. Who sells that stuff? Thanks much! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | The calibration of the speedometer is usually done in the speedometer not the cable. There is a torsion spring that can be calibrated to match your new gears and tire size. Another way might be to use a GPS system to make a mental calibration so you know how fast you are going compared to what speedometer reads. I use a GPS system exclusively as a speedometer and in the unlikely event that I should get "lost" I don't have to stop for directions. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | speedo cables, which are available at any FLAPS, are not "adjustable" ... when you change rear ratios you need to get a new speedo drive gear in the trans appropriate for the ratio - or do as Vern suggests and "mentally calibrate" the reading using GPS or another vehicle with a known correct reading speedo
Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 57 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2009 Posts: 57 | thanks! do you know then where I could search for the new speedo gear drive? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | In addition to a new speedo cable, I think you need to be looking for either the correct driven gear(at transmission end of cable inside transmission), or a speedometer ratio adapter. Type speedometer ratio adapter into Google and see what pops up...  | | |
| |
| |