Thought I would stop by to say hi and introduce myself. My name is John and I have a 1954 Mapleleaf truck that I am currently restoring.
This is the first truck I have attempted as my other vehicles that I have restored have been standard Australian cars. I wanted to get into something a little different. Boy have I! In Australia this beast sports the usual 54 front grill however a lot of other gear relates to the U.S 1952 version like the split windscreen, vacuum wipers, 6 volt system, ignition key and starter button,and the hand brake that comes up through the floor as a long handle. Oh and dual wheels at the rear.
She was a little bit out of the way which is why I probably got it so cheap (16hr round trip). She runs..now, I've removed and repaired rust from the floor pans and cab corners, shes had lots of bits purchased for replacement and ready for paint next week.
Can't wait to take my 5 yr old daughter for a ride she loves daddys' truck.
Great site, hope to chat soon, regards Dawso.
Last edited by Peggy M; 06/23/20235:41 PM. Reason: added more info to the title
Welcome John, you mention it has US gear on it, Mapleleaf trucks were Canadian actually. Basically heavier Chevy trucks with GMC engines. I didn't know that they had split windshields that year though. Good that you have it running and tell your daughter she has good taste! Have fun.
Welcome to the Bolt Dawso. Sounds like your well on your way to be coming a Stovebolt family. Your daughter will treasure the memories and hopefully the truck for a long long time. You'll find quite a few other bolters on your side of the pond. They'll find you soon!! Good luck and post some pics when you can.
Yes, from what I gather parts were shipped from Canada for assembly here, hence the right hand drive. Here they were called 54 because thats the grill they have however split windscreen indicates earlier model in the U.S. I bit of a bitsa.
Interesting the comments re GMC motor. I shall go to another section on Stovebolt forums to discuss.
Thanks for the warm welcome and help so far. Dawso.
Big thanks to Paul for sorting out my account after all this time away I appreciate it. 6 years I think.
Originally after fixing up my Australian built 54 Chev truck back up to scratch and looking pretty good. Unfortunately things got in the way and she sat in the yard for many years.
She is a little worse for wear now paint wise. Developed small easy-to-fix rust holes in the bottom of the front cab corners between the door and guard down underneath.
Looking forward to chatting and watching other vehicle builds here.
I only have to get a few bits together and then get stuck back into the work on it.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Great news that you are getting back to work on the truck!
Yes, please post some pictures.
What are you planning to do to it? Full restoration or restomod?
If you are going to tackle the project hard on, consider keeping a project journal, either personally or here on the site, they seem to be very popular.
Happy wrenching, Steve
1946 Chev 1/2 ton - 6V/+ground/Bias-ply original - shake/Rattle and Roll! (SOLD) 1940 Chev 1/2 ton Franken/Restomod
I was considering the journal I do not think it was here years ago when I was on here but not sure if I would fit the criteria as I might be into it for two solid weeks then a few off. I was thinking of kicking off in the Big Bolt section and updating As frequently as I could.
Well, I had this truck back to looking near new. Pretty engine and engine bay, gloss red paint inside and out and only had the bed to do. Things happened and she sat out in the yard for about eight years now and looking pretty worse for wear as my clear coat has cracked and split apart as has the paint and it has deteriorated substantially. only getting small rust holes in the bottom front corners of the cab between the guard and door frame.
Looking forward to getting back into it I can tell you.