The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (KEVINSKI, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 113 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#759938 07/05/2011 2:40 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
I was looking at the hood on my 59 last nite and under the center brace there was what appears to be melted tar. There is a gap of about 3/8 in from the brace to the underside of the hood. What would be a good replacement material to keep the hood from moving? Some foam of some kind? Or what was that tar 50 years ago?

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
nothing will 'keep the hood from moving', the material you see in there was the same type of tar impregnated paper used elsewhere for noise reduction, intended to prevent noises when it did flap in the wind or get slammed shut .... if your whole hood is moving, the latch needs adjusting

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 367
Sorry, guess I didnt say it correctly. the hood fits and dosent move at speed. I was thinking more of the oil can effect when I close it or wash the hood. Probably need something that will take heat and gas fumes.

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
nothing will keep the hood from flexing when it's slammed around, by you or the wind, having a narrow rigid strut pushing against the center of that big slab will just result in other problems down the road, which is why it wasn't done at the factory .... the change in hood shape [ridges moved and widened] from 57 to 58 was undoubtedly an attempt by GM to reduce the 'flexiness' of the hood, just like the addition of the ridges in 57 was a 'fix' for the even greater flex of the 55-6 hoods

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 166
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 166
I just did this on my '59. I glued some rubber strips to the brace with weatherstrip adhesive. I just used some scrap rubber that I cut in strips. Just determine what thickness you need to fill the gap, too thick and you will have a hump in your hood.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
I just used a tube of windshield caulking (newer windshields are glued in), it's flexible and stops the oilcanning....


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by 1958GMCnut
I just used a tube of windshield caulking (newer windshields are glued in), it's flexible and stops the oilcanning....

This is what i'll be using, urethane windshield bond.

Manufacturers use a similar product on panel van sides between the braces and outer skin.
Another product is Sikaflex.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 6
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 6
My 59 GMC has strips of a stickey cork-like material between the brace and sheet metal. I believe it is the orginal cure for the oilcan effect others describe. I think the winshield adhesive is a excellent idea and cure. Good Luck

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I think it important for others that search this topic to get the most points of view possible. I am at the stage of reassembling my hood that I split awhile back...

My plan is to use neoprene foam rubber sandwiched between the rear brace and hood sheet metal. If you look at the assembly manual, something was there different from the tar impregnated "paper" that was used extensively in other parts of the truck. The neoprene foam is very compressible and should hold up well to the underhood environment. I am in the construction industry and sourced the neoprene from my HVAC subcontractor. The foam is used for metal HVAC duct liner. It is easily cut with a band saw.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
....and when you do it could you post us a picture. Thanks


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I used 1/4" foam from the local Hobby Lobby. Comes in 9x12
sheets for a few pennys. Looks exactly like the "foam" that
was originally under the brace. Been in there for several
years and coming up on 10,000 miles now.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/152813177
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0