The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (RLB, Mr Crosswrench, 1 invisible), 109 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,391
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#757410 06/25/2011 7:44 AM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 15
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 15
Anybody have any experience with Wardlow Kustom Masks who make the custom bras? I am thinking of ordering one for my 1950 Chevy PU to protect the front of the truck when driving on the open highway. I heard the bras can scratch the paint, but it's either don't use the bra and suffer with paint chips and bugs from the road, or don't drive the truck.


1950 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1946 Chevy Panel 3/4 Ton
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
A "bra" will damage the front end far more than any bug and most rocks. Rock chips are a fact of life we all face. It's been three years since I got my '38 painted and so far just two chips. Two tiny dabs of touch up paint as opposed to every inch under a "bra" being scratched is a simple decision to me....no bra. It's your truck, do as you wish but if you put a bra on it you'll want to never remove it. You'll kick yourself for ever putting it on if you do.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 15
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 15
FYI, I wasn't planning on "keeping" it on. Only when the need to hit the highway happens. I live in Southern CA, not in the country, and the freeways here can be pretty nasty with junk flying around, lots of cars and big rigs going fast. The freeways here aren't exactly free of debris. Get behind a dump truck (even from a long distance) and see what comes off of them. I hate to take it on the road, but I also want to enjoy driving my truck to venues, not trailer it everywhere.

I'm wondering if there is something that can be put over the paint surface before the bra to give an extra buffer.


1950 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1946 Chevy Panel 3/4 Ton
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Joe, you're the first I've heard say they didn't have an issue with a bra damaging their paint. I guess it just goes to show that for every rule there's an exception.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
http://www.wardlowbras.net/

There is a pic of one on an AD truck on their website


Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Never been a fan of bras,for the above mentioned reasons.
I had one on a VW Bug years back,me and the paint didn't like it.
I've now accepted road rash is inevitable and wear it as a badge of honour (honor)! wink


Last edited by jockbolter50; 06/25/2011 8:39 PM.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
..I'd rather see the road rash than a bra stuck on a truck. Its just plain un-manly for these fine old trucks. It just don't look natural. Now on the other hand bra's do look good on .......


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 15
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 15
Has anybody heard of "Clear Bra?" Here's their web site: http://www.theclearbra.com/index.htm

This company is in my County so it is an option I can look into.


1950 Chevy 3100 5-Window
1946 Chevy Panel 3/4 Ton
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by hefdog
Has anybody heard of "Clear Bra?" Here's their web site: http://www.theclearbra.com/index.htm

This company is in my County so it is an option I can look into.

I've not heard of that particualr one but my work recently applied a similar film to a customer's Ferrari.
It had been in the paint shop after a small bump and Ferrari wanted nearly £4000 to supply and fit the film!
We did it for way less than a 1/4 of that.....

It does stop the small stuff,but it can only stand so much abuse.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by jockbolter50
It does stop the small stuff,but it can only stand so much abuse.
Yeppers, it might stop a chip but it won't do anything to prevent a dent.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
3M has a similar film they use on the fronts of motorhomes that seems to work pretty well.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Stay off the SoCal highways and show off your truck on the side streets. Best of both worlds and you won't have to worry about the price of a bra or damage.

Freedom Baby


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0