Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,717 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | Look on eBay for a cheap switch and salvage the knob. You do know that is and aftermarket switch right? The correct originals look like this. I do now! :P I had no idea. Does the correct switch offer speed control or is it just one? I'd rather have the original! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | Brad -
Where does that correct switch mount?
Why do I see switches described as "underdash" vs "dash heater". My heater is definitely under the dash. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | I have one like this I have not installed it yet Looks like it has an off position plus 3 speeds, no light. it mounts under dash like in this reference pic ...pic... your old switch is pretty cool and having a lighted switch helps. If you wanted to try to save it you could try picking up a cheap repo to see if the knob fits. this one sells for about 12 bucks. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 | Bigtonka, The switch for my '48 truck (like Brad showed us) is 6 volt but I used a resistor to drop the 12 volt coming in and also on my 6 volt heater motor. The switch has 3 speeds Hi, Med, Lo and off. I have mine mounted to the left of the steering wheel next to the column there are 2 holes to mount the switch in under the dash, next to the defrost/heat vent pull . Hope this helps!
Mike | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Is your switch a rheostat switch or a multi position switch?
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | Is your switch a rheostat switch or a multi position switch? It's a multi position switch - 3 speeds plus off - and for each of the speeds, the know glows brighter. I like it, but I'd rather go original. So if what I have isn't factory, I'll find one like Brad / Dads50 were showing. As for the mount location - it appears that my switch was mounted in the same postion as the factory one. Thanks guys! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | DADS50 shows the correct location for the switch. There are several different kinds with different things on the paddle and colors. Some say AIR others HEAT and some DEF usually brown or black. Right next to it (to the right) under the dash is the correct location for the fairly rare fog light switch. I will post some more photos that illustrate placement and switches they are on my work computer. You can also see mounting details in some of the accessory manauals I know the 53 version shows it. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 801 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 801 | I have a '48 fresh air heater; would the most proper Delco-Remy heater switch color been black? Also, what would a Delco-Remy "air" switch have been used on? I am presently using it + have the feeling it is not right! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | fog light switch "air" switch off a 1950... big reds truck... AKA Denny Graham 1949 switches off a stovebolt members truck GHOSTRIDER. looks like a heater switch similar to big tonkas on the left cool set up looks original | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | Interesting DADS50 - is my switch absolutely aftermarket?
DADS50 - if you're not using the "factory" switch, what are you using? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | I'm not sure what is factory, or aftermarket. I believe Brad has salesman data books and can confirm. Ive been using this repo switch ...pic... | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | yes tonka, your switch is definitely aftermarket, but probably pretty old - from pre-war the factory switches were the paddle type folks are showing - a rotary fan switch was factory starting about 55 - back of it, in 55-59 it uses a series style knob - the lighted knobs were aftermarket Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Since heaters were dealer (instead of factory) installed many put universal rheostat switches in rather than the GM switch. I personally prefer a rheostat because it gives me an infinite number of fan speeds to choose from.
Last edited by Tiny; 06/22/2011 4:57 PM.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | Thanks for the info guys - its nice to know the history.
The fan never seemed to move much air, even at the highest setting. Now that its out I'm going to see if it was a function of the switch or the motor. (or both)
When these things were running on high, how would you compare the air speed to a modern fan in todays car? I imagine the 6V might would affect it right off - but I have no baseline to compare a good running motor too! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | looks like a heater switch similar to big tonkas on the left cool set up looks original Unity Lights | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | The various under dash controls on my '38. All were added by me because when it was pulled out of the barn it had no heater, defroster, fog lights or back up light. From left to right: back-up light (on/off), fog light (on/off), defroster (off/low/high), heater (rheostat) and on the other side of the steering column is the high beam indicator light. <CLICK>
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | How'd you come up with all these paddle switches Brad? You're a veritable gold mine of paddle switches. 
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | Some people collect stamps I collect NOS parts. Some I install like the Perry filter others I just leave on the shelf for display. I love that the stuff has survived all these years intact. The switches are pricey though I would say average on them is $65 and up. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Pricey is right. I bought two on ebay a while back (used), the one I'm using for my defroster and one in my "stash". I'm thinking I paid in the neighborhood of $50 for the pair used.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 801 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 801 | Where does the use of an Ark-les switch vs. Delco-Remy fit into the discussion? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | I stated above unless someone can show me proof that these were preferred over the dealer installed and kit included delco-remy style they are not originals to AD trucks. After 60 odd years who knows what replacements were sourced when the originals wore out. I base my contention on Master Parts Catalogs, original pictures, Accessory Installation Manuals, NOS purchases (with factory boxes/part numbers) which all show the Delco/Cole-Hersee switch in these applications. | | |
| |