Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (PAUL Berardi, Phak1, DaveV, Cheapskate1229, Otto Skorzeny, carbking, Peggy M, Wayne67vert),
138
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,111 Posts1,056,244 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#75487 03/26/2007 6:16 PM | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 83 | 2 LPS's could not get hylomar . permatex is substitute ( & much cheaper ) . any comments | | |
#75488 03/26/2007 6:58 PM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | project39, I looked at both those items. The Hylomar is pretty fancy stuff. My feeling is if you are using a gasket properly, the goopy stuff is just extra fluff. I use HIGH TACK to seal the cork gaskets and hold them in place when assembling the parts. Would the gasket leak without the goop..I don't know. Unless it were a very special application, I would prepare the surfaces to be mated properly, conservatively apply a readily available, off the shelf sealer (if needed) and assemble the parts correctly. Warped flanges and over-tightening are probably the most common cause of leaks on light stamped engine parts. You asked for comments...that's mine. Stuart | | |
#75489 03/26/2007 7:25 PM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 112 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 112 | never tried hylomar,,permatex#2 has worked for me for years. | | |
#75490 03/26/2007 10:25 PM | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 83 | i wanted something to work with gasoline . not all will . thanks for your input . frank | | |
#75491 03/26/2007 11:05 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 25 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 25 | Permatex makes 2 hylomar products. One is in a tube,the other is in an aresol can. Both are gas,oil and anti-freeze resistant. It's great stuff,it' stays pliable and does a super job of sealing. It is cheaper than the Hylomar brand.
arnie | | |
#75492 03/26/2007 11:17 PM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Well, funny you should ask Frank. I just blew $37.25 on a 3.5oz tube of Hylomar PL32 Universal Medium. I like to experiment and I do know that this is used by a lot of the professional engine builders. There’s absolutely no comparison when it comes to price, between the Hylomar and Permatex. Been using good old cheap Permatex my whole life and my Pop before me. I don't think the shelf has ever been without a tin of Indian Head, or #2 on it. The Permatex sealers sometimes leave something to be desired, especially in the area of clean up. And I have never, in the 50 plus years that I have been using it, been absolutely sure I was using the right product for the right job, kinda like well I’ll just grab this, it will probably work. If you read the label they pretty much all say the samething. The web site for Permatex, http://www.permatex.com/ offers, “Click here for more information” which I thought at last would explain after all these years, the proper use of their products. Expecting a chart with a simple description instead I get a movie video down load, 28mb. I figure on my dial-up that would take me around, like ALL night to download!! And to many choices. The Hylomar site, http://www.hylomar-usa.com/ is a little more user friendly, fairly clear as to the application of the product and it not so many choices. I hate a whole bunch of choices! I’ve read that the parts can be disassembled and reassembled many times with the Hylomar which is why it is the racers choice. There’s those choices again. So, anyway, those are my thoughts also! Denny Graham Sandwich, IL p.s. So Arnie, What are the numbers of the Permatex (Hylomar like products), I can't tell by reading the labels.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
#75493 03/26/2007 11:41 PM | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 83 | denny , we speak the same language ! thanks , frank | | |
#75494 03/27/2007 12:12 AM | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 159 | Hylomar is a product of choice at our shop on head bolts that go into water
In the works 2006 GEN III 6.0 /4L80E/ 205 New process,A/C and power brakes .
| | |
#75495 03/27/2007 2:43 AM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Sort of a sub-thread. As of late we have been using a product from "Edelbrock" called "Gasacinch". Anyone have an option on it?
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | |
#75496 03/27/2007 3:02 AM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 2,384 | Originally posted by beltfed: "Edelbrock" called "Gasacinch". Anyone have an option on it? I have used it w/success, good stuff for intake gaskets. Brian | | |
#75497 03/28/2007 3:55 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 25 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 25 | I believe the Permatex part numbers are 81998 for the 6oz. aerosol and 25249 for the 1oz. tube. Those numbers are from awhile back,but I would guess they haven't changed. I'll check the NAPA store tomorrow to verify.
arnie | | |
#75498 03/28/2007 4:19 AM | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I like Denny have used peratex for over 50 years but I also use 3M Weather Strip (I use the black so it's harder to see.) cement to hold the gasket and when that sets up, I put some Permatex #2 on the top to seal it down.
~Jim
| | |
#75499 03/28/2007 1:22 PM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 395 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 395 | the sealer off the local shelf will work just fine if used correctly...doc | | |
#75500 03/28/2007 2:00 PM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | I used Hylomar for years on Harley Evolution motors. I used it on the rocker boxes as a recommended product becuase of the gasket and grooves used on some of the chrome rocker box gasket surfaces. We only used it to hold the gasket in place though, as it was slipery and would squish out the gasket if to much was used. It is much easier to clean off. But I still preffer Gascacinch or High Tack for that application. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on the Hylomar. High Tack smells better too.  | | |
| |