The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (55shaker, classicfins, Charles in CA, CandoBrent), 113 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,664
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#753809 06/11/2011 3:48 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 384
I changed oil in my 4 speed.

Also changed engine oil and therefor I don't know how much oil to put in the gearbox.

I also have the Spicer PTO, it was also drained of oil.

So wonder, is it just a matter of pouring in as much as possible until it is in level with the filling hole?

I read in the owners manual 6 1/4 pint plus 1 pint for a PTO.

I lost track of the bootles even though they were only 4, thought I had poured in 3. So in total I have filled in 4 liters. So I guess I should remove 0.5 liter, or 1 pint. Is it that important ?

/Ulf


My Chevy Viking 1959

Ulf Hedlund. Eskilstuna. Sweden
[email protected]
Also:
Ford Galaxie 4 dr 1959
Ford Custom 4 dr 1964
Ford Mustang GT 2005
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
Originally Posted by lastchancetowing
So wonder, is it just a matter of pouring in as much as possible until it is in level with the filling hole?
thats what i do. afterwards i run the pto and add more if needed.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Actually if you can put your pinkie finger thru the hole and touch the oil you are OK. It will expand somewhat as it gets hot and wil run out if you remove the plug to check it. Running it a tad low will not hurt it.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0