Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (jal12147, F100Ranger, NJC, Bruce 1954-4100, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible),
111
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,338 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 10 | Does someone have an exploded view or pictures of how a 37' Chevy 1/2 ton bed goes together? I inherited one all in parts. This is driving me nuts. I have the manuals but they do not show much. Help would be appreciated. Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | check at MarK, aside from these tips, should be some drawings in their catalog | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 | 46 JD, what part is giving you trouble? I have a '36 pickup that might be similar enough to show where stuff goes.
I've owned this pickup since 1965 and the bed is all original except for the tailgate that I made from sheet metal and tubing copying the original and the panel below the tailgate bent to shape for me by a friend in a sheet metal shop back in 1967.
Ray
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ..the way I did it. First I assembled the 4 sides. The front panel is bolted to the sides with the nuts to the inside. Then I put the LAST rear cross piece in. Then I made my wooden blocks which if I remember is 2 1/4" high. I set the bed on the chassis putting the wood blocks under the front cross sill. After I got the 4 coners "located" i then started on the other cross sills and boards. I'm sure Bill's advice to check out Mar-K is a good one. I did not have anything to by in the late 90's so I'll stop here before I tell you something wrong...... | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 10 | Thanks Yar, I know nothing about this project and am not a puzzle person. I have 4 small wood blocks and 2 big blocks. where do they go? are the sides framed up before the wood is put in? I really do not know enough to even know where to start. I love frustration!!! any pics of the underside of the box might help my brain to click into gear. Thanks!! | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | The taller blocks go at the rear ( bed boards rest directly on them ) The shorter blocks go at front corners, and under cross sill that is about 16" ? in from rear cross sill. Go to Mar-K's site. They have all sorts of info. and drawings of how this goes together. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 | 46 JD, I'll take some pictures of the underside of my '36 Chevy pickup bed. I have no computer skills so I don't know how to post photos other than in an email. What is your email address? Mine is [email protected]. I don't get why people buy the wood parts for the truck beds from an aftermarket supplier. They are simply strips of wood ripped to the correct width with the tops of the edges undercut to create a recess to flush mount the metal strips. The wood is available from a variety of local sources allowing each piece to be selected for straightness and appearance saving shipping costs and the trimming is a simple table saw job. Shipping big stuff is really expensive. When I did that job it took only the skills I learned in junior high school woodshop. It's nothing like the complicated wood frame inside my '36 Chevy pickup cab. That project required some serious bandsaw and shaper work.
Ray
| | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 10 | Thanks Yar, Send the photos to [email protected]What did you finish your bed wood with? The wood is new and unfinished and still bundled since dad got it 15 years ago. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 | 46 JD, I will snap some photos in the late afternoon when the sun is shining directly into the garage because it's pretty dark looking up at the bottom of a pickup box.
I did my restoration in the early 70s and even if I weren't an old fart with a fading memory I probably wouldn't remember what finish I used. There is some great stuff now that is fast drying and durable as well as the old standby for outdoor finishes, spar varnish, in a variety of glosses to suit your preference.
I'm no professionaL woodworker but I have found that the smoother the wood is sanded before applying the finish the more the subtle grain patterns show making the wood, in my opinion, more beautiful. I use progressively finer grits ending up with 220 when I want a really nice grain pattern to show.
Ray
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 843 | 46 JDGreene, I sent some photos of the pickup bed supports to your email address. They are simple wood blocks that can be precisely cut using only a chop saw and a drill press to drill for the bed hold-down bolts. If your bed sides, front panel and tail gate are not too bad they can be made perfecly flat by shrinking the dents out of the metal. My tailgate was too far gone for that so I made a new one from 16 gauge sheet metal and steel tubing for the top and bottom. Mig welding equipment didn't exist long ago when I did that job so I used tig, a much slower welding process. With mig, making the tailgate would be a quick welding project once the sheet metal is bent into shape. Anyone with a sheet metal brake can do the bends. If you'd like to see how that turned out before you invest in expensive repops I'd be glad to send you some photos. Ray Waldbaum [email protected]
Ray
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2019 Posts: 439 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2019 Posts: 439 | "How To Restore Your Chevrolet Pickup" Brownwell, has an amazing section of Pickup box restoration and rebuild. just saying.
Larry Old man᠁Old truck᠁neither one goes very fast. All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY. If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2018 Posts: 298 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2018 Posts: 298 | 46JDgreen, sent you a private message. Bill
1937 GC
| | |
| |