The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Tronman, Gray_Ghost), 85 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,476
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#744600 05/04/2011 12:56 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
I'm trying to replace the cowl vent gasket on my 1941 truck, but I don't actually know how it is supposed to fit the truck, Lip up, groove up??? I assumed I would go to the truck and it would be obvious, but it isn't. I got the gasket from Carter's but it has the Steele rubber logo on it. I'm not sure if it is just ANOTHER ill fitting chinese piece of junk or what, but either way I try to install it, it really doesn't fit well. Any suggestions would be great, and pictures are even better.
Thank you guys, Rob

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
I think you want " lip up " to keep water away from opening. The gasket I got from Carters doesn't fit very well either / seems too thick / keeps cowl vent above surrounding metal ?


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
Originally Posted by Hotrod_A
Lip up, groove up??? I assumed I would go to the truck and it would be obvious, but it isn't. I got the gasket from Carter's but it has the Steele rubber logo on it. I'm not sure if it is just ANOTHER ill fitting chinese piece of junk or what,

if it says steel on it, then you got a steal of a deal and its the real deal. lip up, the groove fits in the channel. you must remove the vent to get it to go in plus remove all the crap that been in there for 50+ years. at least on my trucks i had to. while your at it look under the dash where the seal goes and look for rust runs and address that too.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
If it's at all like my '48, once you force the vent door down, it'll squash the rubber enough to be level, especially as time goes on.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
Thanks for the help guys, I'll give it another try this weekend.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
I had to use some spray on adhesive of some sort to get it to stay in place. Then squash the vent down to keep it there, aligned. All it wants to do is pop out otherwise.


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
I have a 48 and will assume these gaskets are close enough to ask my question.

There are two types of gaskets available. The sponge (which is inexpensive) and another which is twice the cost. Which one is the one to use on the top and side vents?

Thanks and sorry - I am not trying to highjack this thread.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
FWIW, I don't have a 41 but a 53. I have the rubber one, not sponge and I used the weatherstrip adhesive on it. Then I closed the cowl vent overnight and it's there to stay.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
Hey 641Workmaster, its nice to see another art deco here in shoreline CT, I'm over in Guilford, I hope to see you on the road one of these days!


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0