Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,454 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 127 | I'm trying to replace the cowl vent gasket on my 1941 truck, but I don't actually know how it is supposed to fit the truck, Lip up, groove up??? I assumed I would go to the truck and it would be obvious, but it isn't. I got the gasket from Carter's but it has the Steele rubber logo on it. I'm not sure if it is just ANOTHER ill fitting chinese piece of junk or what, but either way I try to install it, it really doesn't fit well. Any suggestions would be great, and pictures are even better. Thank you guys, Rob | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | I think you want " lip up " to keep water away from opening. The gasket I got from Carters doesn't fit very well either / seems too thick / keeps cowl vent above surrounding metal ? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | Lip up, groove up??? I assumed I would go to the truck and it would be obvious, but it isn't. I got the gasket from Carter's but it has the Steele rubber logo on it. I'm not sure if it is just ANOTHER ill fitting chinese piece of junk or what, if it says steel on it, then you got a steal of a deal and its the real deal. lip up, the groove fits in the channel. you must remove the vent to get it to go in plus remove all the crap that been in there for 50+ years. at least on my trucks i had to. while your at it look under the dash where the seal goes and look for rust runs and address that too. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 | If it's at all like my '48, once you force the vent door down, it'll squash the rubber enough to be level, especially as time goes on. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 127 | Thanks for the help guys, I'll give it another try this weekend. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | I had to use some spray on adhesive of some sort to get it to stay in place. Then squash the vent down to keep it there, aligned. All it wants to do is pop out otherwise.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | I have a 48 and will assume these gaskets are close enough to ask my question.
There are two types of gaskets available. The sponge (which is inexpensive) and another which is twice the cost. Which one is the one to use on the top and side vents?
Thanks and sorry - I am not trying to highjack this thread.
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | FWIW, I don't have a 41 but a 53. I have the rubber one, not sponge and I used the weatherstrip adhesive on it. Then I closed the cowl vent overnight and it's there to stay. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 127 | Hey 641Workmaster, its nice to see another art deco here in shoreline CT, I'm over in Guilford, I hope to see you on the road one of these days! | | |
| |