The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (3800GUY, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, JW51), 115 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
My cab floor has surface rust and also some thin spots with small gaps at the corner seams of the kick panels and toe boards. I want to coat the floor temporarily and drive it until I can do more serious work on it later. The kick panels have rust through and will also need replaced. If I encapsulate the floor now is it possible to clean the area to weld later?


Allan
-----
1951 GMC 1/2-ton
Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Better to fix it first, then encapsulate, why do the job twice?


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
A quick powered wire brush treatment, then use zero rust paint.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
I do realize it's better to get it fixed first but I would like to drive it this summer and make it a winter time project. I'm still waiting to get a MIG welder and will need to practice up before tackling the repair. Perhaps just some zero rust paint as Truckolet mentioned would tide it over.


Allan
-----
1951 GMC 1/2-ton
Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
anything you put on it without all the preparatory steps will just add to the work you have to do later .... maybe you could just leave it alone until you're ready to do the whole job - it's taken 60 years to get like it is, another 6 months isn't going to kill it wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Agree with squeeze. trapped rust seems to grow better than rust that is left alone.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
Great advice...thanks for the input guys.


Allan
-----
1951 GMC 1/2-ton
Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
I made a couple kick panel covers from carpet runner to hide the rot and it looked respectable for the couple summers I drove it that way.



1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,362
If you wire brush it real good and of course clean it before painiting zero rust it will be fine, and stop the rusting process.
If you want it better later you get a blaster at harbor freight, and walnut shells, and clean off the zero rust. Or if you want a slightly better job of it now, do the good clean and paint removal, and zero rust it. When the time comes just fix what you need to and shouldn't need to clean off the zero rust, just scratch it with sandpaper or scratch pad and clean and paint what ever over it. Its every bit as good as por and less hassel.


Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks.
Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.


As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
What squeeze said.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
I agree, what squeeze said!!!!!!!!

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
Sounds pretty good to me...no use making more work than necessary.


Allan
-----
1951 GMC 1/2-ton
Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
What about using rust converter before encapsulating?



Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 207
I'm with Squeeze.


Tom
1965 Chevy C10, 230 straight six, 2WD, 4-speed manual
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
Dennis, that's what I was thinking about...something to inhibit the rust until more permanent work can be done. Since the truck will always be garaged then I think it's good advice to just leave it until I can replace the bad spots.


Allan
-----
1951 GMC 1/2-ton
Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
This is what I have done with no problems.

You can try to grind all the rust and thin the metal. You can chemically or blast all the rust - if you left any behind then you have wasted your time.

I convert it the best I can, then encapsulate it.

It will be fine until you are done with the truck.

I use my truck as a truck - hauling things. I also paid $400 for my truck.

Now if you are looking for a show truck then I am wrong. Sorry

It is your decision.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0