The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Eileen, klhansen, Uncles51, DBJ71SuperCustom, dt235sd, fonz8261), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,295
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
I got the truck running this morning and noticed something strange.

The tapping noise that I noticed a while back was really loud when I started the truck...she had been sitting for over a week. Then after she was all warmed up the tapping reduced a lot...and almost just became part of the background noise.

Is there any chance I have a bad lifter? The lifters are hydraulic on the 292...so I am wondering if one of them is leaking out while the engine sits...and then fills up after running.

What are the chances of that?

Dave


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
sablesurfer,

Old lifters are like old mechanics, creaky and stiff in the early AM, but agile and Gazelle like when warmed up. This is SOP for a old engine...as long as it quiets down after it is warmed up, it is fine. smile

Stuart

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 202
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 202
Lifters on the 292 are easy to change and not expensive. If its chronic I'd replace them. I would use some Marvel Mystery Oil and run it for a while then change the oil and use Castrol 10W-30 and use some Lucas Addative. Should stop it. My preference is to use System 48 Plus off the net. I use it and have no valve train noise of any other mechanical sound. Just smooth and quiet. Its guaranteed. H.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
Automarc and Henry are right on. Thats typical of older hydraulic lifters.
If they quiet down after a while,,just live with it,,if you can.
Marty


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0