The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hanks custodian, TooMany2count), 102 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#739132 04/14/2011 2:38 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Which gas tanks fit well between the rear frame rails of my 1957 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton Stepside?

I have heard "Suburban", but don't know which years, etc.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Bill

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 381
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 381
If you are planning on installing the tank between the frame rails and behind the rear axle, '49-'54 Chevy Passenger car tanks fit well. Also late '80's Jeep tank works.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25
I have a Ford mustang tank that is practically made for this application. I just trimmed a slight amount of frame width off the bottom of my frame rails, and it slides in perfectly. The C channel on my frame actually widened a little towards the rearend. I didn't have to trim very much. I removed my rear cross brace rivits, and made it removeable and used bolts to install it back in place. The year was 1968-1970 I believe.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
I just finished a tank install, I went with a Universal Tank I didnt have to cut up much to get it in there and it was a clean install.


Some people are like Slinkies, Their not really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

1951 3100 350 TBI Gallery Toddzilla... "$old"


Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
looks good and for another eighty bucks you can have a tank of gas..lol


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
The tank and the installation looks great but for the live of me why would anyone install a fill neck in the bed that you have to drag the hose over a nice paint job and if you spill any there goes the nice wood finish. Why not go a step farther and put in a filler in the fender where if you spill any it drains down to the ground. You can always wipe it off the ground and not ruin the paint or finish in the bed.
62Blue
Don


62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0