The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Cletus1950, HandyAndy, 78buckshot, Hotrod Lincoln), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#730540 03/16/2011 10:01 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Me: Eric Di Fate

Location: St. Louis, MO

My story: As a high school kid I'd always thought trucks from the late 40's to mid 50's were just plain cool. Ford, Dodge, Chev, GMC, etc ... loved em all, tho I was particularly drawn to the looks of the Advanced Design trucks.

Fast forward 25 or so years, I've owned more than a handful of vintage cars and motorcycles, and about 20 or more vintage and antique bicycles ... but never a truck. My wife would tell me I still get giddy like a kid every time I see one on the road or in a lot. "Catch up!" or "Pull over!" I'd always say.

Then one recent Friday evening, out of the blue, she tells me she found a truck on craigslist, emailed the owner and that I needed to follow up. I was blown away! ...she never much cared for the Stingray I drove when we first met or the '48 Schwinn I restored for her when we wanted to go for a bicycle ride back when we were dating. Long story short, by that Saturday we had plans to see it and by Sunday morning we had our new 1951 Chevy 3100 at home in the garage.

My truck: Mostly, if not all, original and runs great but needs a new clutch bad. Gonna be doing 99% of the work myself including the body. ...I'm a wrencher, not a body guy ... fingers crossed that my welding turns out decent.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5051/5503942575_fa6eea25aa_b.jpg

More pics in my flickr account.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericdifate/sets/72157626211938122/


Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
....you can do it! Go for it.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Wooo!! Thanks for the encouragement! grin
I'm actually really excited to do the cab corners (even tho welding near that big honkin' gas tank has me mildly concerned) but the inner cowls and right front floor look like they might be tough to get to given my facilities. ...the truck only clears my garage ceiling by less than three inches and the front door by only a couple feet.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
New clutch is in and the cutting begins this week! Fingers crossed.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 320
T
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 320
Great project you have there BLUEMEANIE. I'm gonna suggest you remove the gas tank before you start cutting and welding. Often the lines and hoses on these old are hard and crusty. Since often times the tank will be R&Red along the way, to be safe make that the next project then your worries (and real hazards) will be reduced.


1951 Chevy 1-Ton Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Pictures of the restoration on Photobucket
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
RIP good friend.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Thanks! Your panel truck is great! Were you able to clean the paint up at all?

I'm without a doubt pulling the tank when I get to that point. Its so easy to do so, I'd be dumb not to.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Good luck on your new 'adventure' Eric!

The guys here will help you keep things on track,and you know advice is available here 24/7.
Now go and get those cab corners done!
Just remember to skip around...(with the welds that is) not around the workshop! wink

Last edited by jockbolter50; 04/04/2011 10:54 PM.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 290
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 290
Nice pics of the truck. Just remember not to get in a hurry & over whelmed. Thats sometimes my biggest problem with my project. I sometimes have to stop for an hour or even a day & think. Funny how things click a little better when this happens. Anyway I'll keep an eye on your project, you'll have blast!!! Later Rick


"IT IS WHAT IT IS"
1953 Chevrolet 1/2-ton 3100 4x4
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery
More images in Flickr
1948 GMC 1-Ton (now sold to someone in Hawaii!)
In the Gallery
More photo in Flickr
1953 Chevy 1-Ton
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by jockbolter50
Just remember to skip around...(with the welds that is) not around the workshop! wink
Ha!

Originally Posted by Slick69
Just remember not to get in a hurry & over whelmed. Thats sometimes my biggest problem with my project. I sometimes have to stop for an hour or even a day & think. Funny how things click a little better when this happens. Anyway I'll keep an eye on your project, you'll have blast!!! Later Rick

This is the biggest project I've taken on body-wise. Tho the more time I spend with it the easier it seems.
...even tho every time I poke around I find a new issue or potential problem to deal with.
Its all part of the hobby. smile

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Picked up an older Linoln Electric WP HD arc welder today ... now I just have to wait til the rain and tornadoes pass.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 940
Update: Added some pics to my filckr set (see signature link).

The body wori is on hold as the motor is half pulled apart ... she didn't quit running but the smoke got bad. Pulled some bent rods out and freed up some of the valves. Hope to get it running this weekend or next.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 290
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 290
How is the truck coming? Thought I'd check in on your progress. Mine is starting to pick back up. I also acquired another 1948 1-ton but it doesn't need much. Later Rick


"IT IS WHAT IT IS"
1953 Chevrolet 1/2-ton 3100 4x4
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery
More images in Flickr
1948 GMC 1-Ton (now sold to someone in Hawaii!)
In the Gallery
More photo in Flickr
1953 Chevy 1-Ton

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0