Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,618 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | Hey, all. I finally got my truck back from having the body completely restored; taken down to bare metal and painted anew. The color is candy cherry with a fine metal flake ... the grill and tailgate letters are gun metal gray. Pics and details are here: http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/back_from_paint.phpAlan
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | Looks very nice Alan........Too bad about the wiring...I've followed your project for awhile and know you spent a lot of time and dough on the wiring.....Good luck Dan | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | Thanks, Dan.
Another problem ... due to the truck sitting for 3 years with no gas in its 30-gallon tank ... is that my gas tank is **loaded** with rust!
I'm taking it to a buddy's shop this afternoon and we'll be putting a new tank in. I was going to have the tank boiled and lined for $300 but my buddy knows a guy who can fit me with a brand new tank (same size, etc.) for $125 ... so that's what I'll be doing today. Then I'll be "back on the road" and able to drive like I did before paint. But it's taken me over 3 months to get everything on the truck back in order!
Amazing.
Alan
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Alan, congrats on being "on the road again". I know yoru excited. Pits about the wires but just move forward and enjoy it. Thanks for sharing and I DO like the color. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | I'm thinkin',"Good. Always looking for truck reccomendations here in Jersey." Oops. Anyway, truck looks really good. The gun metal trim color adds subtle styling. Nice all around.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | Looks good Alan, sorry to hear about your problems, I am sure you will get it all worked out. I bet your interior looks good with that paint job. I know how hard you worked on your seats!! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 239 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 239 | Alan,
You get the A+ for patience, forgiveness and understanding. The truck looks great.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. -Unknown-
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | That is a sweet looking truck! Please tell us you have a garage to park it in!? | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | Thanks, everyone. jomichael: Yes. I just moved into an apartment to be close to my Mom, and a garage will be happening soon. In the meantime, I have a good friend letting me use his (he has 3 bays and all the tools in the world). I put the new fuel tank in and decided to also run all new fuel lines, including a new fuel pump (for $20, why not, right!?). But after all that, I discovered my carb was absolutely ruined from running contaminated gas through it. A buddy, who is a great mechanic (old school), told me to just forget it and put a brand new carb on ... so I did. I installed a new Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm 4 bbl (same one I had), just a few days ago and man, oh man!!! What a dream she is to drive NOW! HalleluYah! I have my truck BACK! Now, get ready: The weekend of the 30th I'll be installing the seats I made with buffalo hides ( see the seats here ... or ... [b]view the whole project, start to finish, here[/b]) and then I'll be doing the interior and posting my usual photo-tutorials on my web site. Alan
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | Where do you get buffalo hide? That must be hard to work with! Indestructible I would say. Love the grain pattern. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | Can't wait to see it with your new interior, Alan! Bet it will look sharp.! | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | jomichael: I got the buffalo hides from a long-time tanning company out in California. What you saw on the seats is "dark chocolate" ... I also have "cream" hides.
coach-frank: Thanks, Coach! I'm really looking forward to this project! The hides really **are** thick; I don't know of any interior guys that work with actual hides.
Alan
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 | Alan, the truck looks great, cept for that heavy looking back bumper. But it's ur truck, enjoy it.
Dan
Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it. 101st Screaming Eagles
| | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | Amen, Dan. The back bumper is a mess (full of rust) and will be a project to tackle in the near future.
I want to put a new bumper on and just trash that one ... you're right - it doesn't make sense.
Any suggestions on the bumper I should consider would be greatly appreciated.
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | I agree the stock bumper would look great on your truck, Alan! But its your call! | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | Thanks, guys. I'll be looking into it, for sure.
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | PS: Has anyone purchased bumpers? Any recommendations?
I saw one outfit advertising "triple chrome plated" for like twice the cost (maybe even a bit more) ... has anyone done that? Is it worth it?
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 554 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 554 | I was able to compare products from three vendors in Southern CA on the same morning. All of them looked good. The one that sold parts labeled as "Counter Parts" seemed to be heavier steel. I purchased those but they are still in the boxes. I have no way of knowing whether the heavier steel is better or worse than the lighter stuff. I don't have any way of knowing the quality of the chrome of how well it will hold up over time. "Triple chrome plated" would refer to copper, nickel, and chromium in really good shops but it could mean almost anything to some manufacturers.
I do not know how well my parts will hold up. With all the reports of poor quality chrome from overseas parts I would give more consideration to stainless steel next time. It would be great to hear from someone running these parts for a longer duration report on their performance.
Chuck | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | Thanks, Chuck.
I hadn't thought about stainless steel. I had my front bumper rechromed after we welded the bolts onto the back-side and shaved the front smooth. It's a great look! And there won't be any concerns about rust-drips that are typical under the bolt heads.
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | |
| |