The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,181
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#724071 02/24/2011 9:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 85
Z
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 85
has anyone put fog lights on their AD with a splash apron as well? Pics?


52 Chevy 1/2 ton - work in progress
65 Mustang coupe - work not in progress smile
67 Mustang GT convertibile
67 Camaro RS/SS
We are now even with fords and chevys. smile
Now i need a mopar. Hahahahahahahahaha
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
I would like to c that 2 , cause with the lisence plate brkt and plate to one side (for those of us who have to ware one!) It kinda looks off balanced w/fog lights.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Brad
do you know if that is a lighted switch?

Thank you

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
That type of switch is not lit. You'll need a rotary switch with the small bulb in it.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Thanks Tiny

I've seen a pic of the rotary switch. Just wondering if that fog light switch Brad posted would of worked for back up light.(it won't )
Never seen a fog switch before. Thanks for posting

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
Hey guys , are those clear or yellow glass on the fog lights?
Where do the fog lights mount when you have bumper guards(bumperetts) installed?
Thanx for tha picx,
Mike

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I have and archive of 6000 factory photo's that I am preparing for sale on topic based cd's. I will look through them and see if I can find additional photo's of the lights.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
Thanx Brad! That would be great.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
If I did this right, http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/Hookalatch/ this should take you to my photos. The first two pictures should show a set of yellow lens fog lights that were on the truck for at least the 35 years I have known it. They might be dealer installed. The mount was a little crude but it may have been the standard for the time. It was 1/4" x 1" aluminum bar that attached to the frame and made a 90 degree twist as it exited past the back side of the splash apron. It was a tight fit.

I copied instructions someone made on how to change a hyperlink to text. I pulled that printed copy out of my hard file and tried my best to change it a word but failed. I am used to that when it comes to computer issues.

Chuck

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I did a little more digging in the Salesman data books:
1947 with 48 updates mentions the lights but cannot tell if white or yellow.
1949 Specifies low mounted white light.
1951 is the same as 49
1954 is the same as 49/51
Looked at the pictures again (1951) and they look white/clear to me as the book says they should.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Now to my 1953 Accessories manual and it gives over two full pages on installing #986524 Fog Lamps with and without grill guards.
With no grill guard they go 16-1/2" either side of centerline
With guard #986486 (Small Trucks) 20"
With guard #986536 (Big Trucks) 14-1/4"
The bracket pictured is L-shaped and does not extend below the splash pan (stone guard) and matches those pictured in the data books.
In addition the switch specified is a Cole-Hersee (FOG) as in my post above not a lighted rotary. No mention is made of lens color.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 388
They look Chuck!
Thanx

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
Now that you have the data on how far from center to mount the light I'm wondering how far back from the bumper to drill the mounting hole, cause I don't want to be off by any more than a quarter inch.

Here's what I'm wondering. It's the early 50's and I take my truck to the Chevy dealership and ask for some fogs to be mounted up front.
Does the mechanic get his instruction book out and look up how to mount them ?
Does he ask me where I'd like them ?
Or does he just pick a spot, drill the holes, mount the lights and call it done.

Try to remember, things like that where hi-tech back then, right ?

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
That information is also included in the Accessory Installation manual. I can't speak to what you would have recieved from a particular dealership but the mounting instructions are quite specific. This would then be tied I would think to flat rate charges and to parts availability. Most of the Chevrolet accessories came with everything in a kit and the kit has the same instructions as the manual.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0