| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,462 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 170 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 170 | I've searched and searched and can find many disc brake kits for the front wheels for 41-46 pickups. But never a master cylinder or even an adapter to add a late model MC. I know it's an odd setup how the MC bolts to the tranny, but I would have thought some vendor would have an adapter. What have others done for their deco pickup MCs that have added front discs? Thanks for any info. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 255 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 255 | I've wondered why no one is offering that also. Must not be enough demand. I have considered trying to design and build one for my 38 that would allow a late model MC to bolt into stock location. Maybe one of these days!! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | The larger deco trucks use a more friendly design for the dual master cylinder. Instead of having the MC cradle that bolts to both the bellhousing and the transmission, The larger deco trucks have a clevis rod that is "pulled" when the brake pedal is pushed. The clevis rod goes to a reversing arm that is mounted to the frame. A frame mounted MC is then mounted in front of the reversing arm. When the reversing rod is pulled forward, another rod pushes the MC.
With this setup, many universal frame mount MC kits can be used.
So look at the brake/clutch pedal setup from a 1 or 2 ton truck, and grab all the linkage rods and you will be set. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 170 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 170 | I appreciate the info - I'll be looking for the 1 ton parts. Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | I have that same setup on my 4t6 3/4 ton. Some pictures start here. May or may not help. Have fun and good luck Dan | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | And......I believe George, AKA 46forme, a bolter here, sent me some pics of his dual master cylinder. I'll try to locate if needed. Dan | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | If memory serves me, George used a Mustang master cylinder on his truck. I designed and build a bracket for my 37 by which I used a Master Power dual master cylinder coupled with the installation of a T-5 five speed manual transmission. I didn't go the disc route on the fronts, but it could be easily been done as there is plenty of room under the floor board. I have even see a small booster used under the floor board.
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | I'm running the original style Stang II m/c and booster. Got it right across the counter....but like Joe, the brackets are home made. I had a friend fab mine for me. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | My 37 has a similar bracket for the master cylinder and I made my own adapter and rod,since I installed a T-5 I had to use a 73-9 Ford truck master cylinder due to where the lines attached. GM master cylinders have the lines attaching to the side thats real close to the trans but if you are still using the original trans any master cylinder will work as there might be plenty of room between the trans and master cylinder. | | |
| |
| |