The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Joe H, 78buckshot), 89 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,431
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I've just started the process of recovering my 3100 truck seat and thought i'd post a couple of pics. I'm pretty sure it's all original. After removing the seat cover which I had to cut away at the frame since hog rings were not used.
[IMG]http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1061/3611363/23691035/395103972.jpg[/IMG] I found some soft padding over some jute straw packing and a burlap layer with cord on the edges.
[IMG]http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1061/3611363/23691035/395103962.jpg[/IMG]
Then I found 4 rows of burlap running vertically between the rows of coil springs. They had 4 1/4 inch diameter springs running through the top and attached to the coils by hog rings and had 4 thin stiff wire running through the bottom attached at either end by wrapping the wire tightly to the end coils.
[IMG]http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1061/3611363/23691035/395103970.jpg[/IMG]
I don't know the purpose except as a sound deadner and coil alignment.Thought it was interesting though. My frame is in good shape except for one corner.
[IMG]http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1061/3611363/23691035/395103974.jpg[/IMG]
If anyone has a suggestion on how to repair that, let me know. the Tech Tips has some info.

Last edited by DrewP; 03/15/2011 8:34 PM.

Drew
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Nice pictures. Who do you plan to get the replacement guts and cover from?


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I purchased a more modern style cover, slightly used, from a fellow Stovebolter who wanted to go back to the original style on a truck he purchased. I suppose I could sew up my own burlap since the spring and wire were all in good shape, but I'm thinking of not replacing them.I don't see the need as long as I hog ring the coils in the right places. American Classic Truck Parts,Stovebolt web sponsor, sells a very good padding/foam/clip
package for $45.


Drew
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 154
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 154
http://community.webshots.com/user/elmclm Here is what I did with mine.Don't know if it will help or not.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Eric, Thanks! More info always helps. I particularly like the use of all the spring clamps to help hold the material in place.
I've been slowed by the bad weather and haven't had a chance to power blast the frame clean before painting. At least most of my metal repair on it is done. And your '51 looks like it's turning out great!


Drew
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Drew,

Thanks for the photos and the description of how it was put together.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I completed my bottom seat redo. Here are a few pics.
I decided against purchasing anything new, so after cleaning and spray painting the frame I just applied some flower bed weed block material I had instead of buying burlap. It's tough and breathable and acts as a dust sheild like the burlap.

[IMG]http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1061/3611363/23691035/395731140.jpg[/IMG]

Then I reused the jute and cotton layer.
[IMG]http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1061/3611363/23691035/395731141.jpg[/IMG]

After that I applied a layer of foam which is actually intended for bed use over a mattress. It was the only piece I bought. Very inexpensive too.
[IMG]http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1061/3611363/23691035/395731144.jpg[/IMG]

Then I covered that with a used ,but good condition seat cover I purchased from a fellow Stovebolter as previously stated.

[IMG]http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1061/3611363/23691035/395731146.jpg[/IMG]

Admittedly I made some mistakes. I used too much foam and didn't quite get all the retainer hog rings concealled. But, for a rank amateur on a senior budget and not interested in showing the vehicle, I think it came out fine for my purpose,a driver. I did find some useful videos on the Lebaron-Bonney(uphostery) web site and from several Stovebolters. Thank you guys. Now,it's on to the backrest. It should go easier. wink


Drew
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
Looks great, Drew. You may have found a new profession!!

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 19
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 19
I'm just beginning my seat Redo on my '48 1/2 ton. A previous owner had upholstered over the original. This outer upholstry was held in place with hog ring clips and was very easy to remove. The original uholstry was clipped into the channel around the bottom of the seat frame with little "Vee" shaped clips. I'm having difficulty removing these orignal clips. What's the best way to get them out?

And the bigger question. If I'm just doing this seat recover for a driver should I just use hog ring clips in which case these "Vee" clips can just be left inside the channel.

Your comments are appreciated.


Rob Mathis

48 Half Ton with 235 & SM420

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0