The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#715487 01/26/2011 9:46 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
Hello all, I need to replace my Radiator in my 46 Chevy 1.5 Ton. I know it's a 4 core. Can a 3 core be used? Can a Radiator from a 39-40 be used? If anyone knows what I can use or what is compatible please let me know.
Thanks

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 23
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 23
First off what depends on motor size if still original 216 3 will work. Afco makes a replacement also try Jim Carter Trucks at oldchevytrucks.com. Hope it helps


EMS is my life. But I have found my TRUE PASSION OLD TRUCKS...
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 210
It's a 235 and has a 4 core radiator. I've already tried Carters.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
If you are saving pennies... I was just quoted $860 (new zealand) to recore my '47 1.5 ton. I could probably hunt around for a better deal.

Not sure if you guys had Toyota Hiluxs over there? The core of the hilux radiator is 25mm higher and 30mm wider. I think its three core (50mm thick). The pipes are in the wrong place. I can change them no problem.
It will be a tight fit (about 5mm to spare) in the frame but I am certain it will do-
I have bought a good secondhand one for $120 and it will be here in a week, I will let you know how useful it is.
The radiator shop guys said that the newer cores cool a lot better than the originals, three core would do in our climate.
But they quoted for a 4 core.


'47 Canadian RHD 1.5 ton truck
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 120
The radiator arrived.
The seller measured it wrong- its about 10mm wider than they said which means it isnt easy to fit.
So dont consider one of these.
The radiator I got is brand new, I will narrow it by three cores and it will be fine- but I will have a wary eye on the temperature guage.


'47 Canadian RHD 1.5 ton truck

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0