| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,119 Posts1,056,311 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 21 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 21 | I'm now at point where I've bolted in the heater and got my hoses all connected. Next is hooking up the electrical. I see there are 2 wires that come off the heater motor and I found the heater knob in one of the many boxes that came with my truck. It has two leads so I assume one is for hot and the other to the heater. Is the extra one from the heater just a ground? Couldn't find anything about the heater switch wiring in my diagram. Also I've converted to 12v so I'm assuming a voltage reducer in line as well. Should it go before the switch or between the switch and heater motor? Any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was". Toby Keith
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Is the extra one from the heater just a ground? One wire is a ground heres a pic if you have a harrison it may help You didnt say what year truck or heater type. I used a 12v motor, so cant answer where to install the drop. Is it the original switch? Good Luck | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 21 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 21 | Yes that's the motor and I'm sure its the original switch. By the way it's a '50 Chevy half ton. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Thanks for the help.
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was". Toby Keith
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Your lucky to have the original switch. I had to use an aftermarket switch. its kinda flimsy, but It did give me 3 speeds.
Hopefully someone will chime in a suggest the best place to put the drop. And a fuse if needed.
Good luck
Last edited by DADS50; 01/19/2011 8:48 PM. Reason: code ck-7
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 21 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 21 |
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was". Toby Keith
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | My heater has only one wire. My heater is grounded by bolting it to the firewall. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 21 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 21 | Thanks 53 panel. I think I'll just ground the wire with a screw to the firewall.
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was". Toby Keith
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | The original motors are all one wire, upgraded motors or 12-volt conversions are usually two. Just ground it to the firewall. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | The original ad heater motors have two wire coming out of the motor.One wire is grounded to the unit like the picture dads50 provided.I would put the reducer after the switch close to the heater.Make sure you put that voltage reducer in a place where nothing will touch it.The reducer will get extremely hot and can cause a fire.Mount it to a metal surface,it will act as a heat sink.I would even put a inline fuse in the system.
Tim 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 78 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 78 | The two-wire motors I've seen also have a direction of rotation. You can use either wire for hot or ground and they will spin in opposite directions (for obvious DC reasons). Not sure if that matters in your case, but just thought I'd mention it. You don't want the heater sucking cold air in through the little vents and blowing hot out the intake. 1959 Chevy 3/4-ton (pics posted soon)
I child-proofed my house, but my kids keep finding their way back in. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | The original 6volt motors will spin the same direction regardless. The new reproduction Chinese 12 volt motors will spin two different ways depending on which wire is hooked to positive.I don't know about the reproduction 6volt motors.
Tim
1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | |
| |
| |