The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, CharlieF), 102 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,294
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
I would like to replace my fuel line between the pump and the carb. I see one is offered for about $25 from the reproduction parts suppliers. On the other hand, I could buy some straight line from the FLAPS and bend it myself.

I'd like to hear from folks who have done this work already.

Can anyone comment on the fit of the ones from the repro houses? Will I end up re-bending it anyway?

As far as bending one myself, I considered making a mockup out of coat hanger wire, then matching it up on the work bench. I figured I'd fill the line with salt to prevent kinks while using a tube bending tool. I have a basic flaring tool for the ends. Do I have the proper equipment if I do the work at home?

Am I missing anything? Recommendations?

Thanks.

Bill

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
Measure out what you think you need and head off to the store. You might be able to get really close on length. If you do have to cut, use a double flare. No need to fill the line before bending. I always buy extra so when I bend it wrong I don't have to go back, if I get it right, I just return what I didn't use. You can also make two pieces fit if the length isn't right, just put the junction where its not to noticeable.

If you have the stock one, just use it for a pattern, its really easy to make, and if it doesn't follow the same path, its no big deal as long as it works and fits right.

NAPA sells a greenish grey fuel line you can bend with your hands along with the standard silver brake line. The green stuff is supper easy to work with if you don't mind the color.

Joe


Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 37
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 37
TxLaTx:

I purchased the pre-bent and it fit right it. Note they all order from one shop----sometimes they have in stock and other times they drop ship from the third party. I thought about bending the lines myself but didn't want to go through the aggravation at the time (as I had never tried bendig lines before). I believe there is a small learning curve to make sure that you get the bend in the right place.

There is nothing wrong with doing it yourself. Note that many of the FLAPS have a tool loan program (so you don't have to purchase one-time use tools).

Hope this helps and I am sure that you will get other opinions.



Kent S Butler
'56 Chevy 3100
Houston, TX
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
With a good bender and flare tool it can be fun to do yourself. And if you do this one then next time and time after that you'll be more and more comfortable bending lines for brakes and so on.
Pick up extra, sometimes the coat hanger pattern doesn't work out so well and trial and error with real line is necessary to get the fit you desire.

That said, if you don't ever plan to make lines again just buy the pre made one.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374
As stated, do it yourself for about $5 in line. Mock it up with the hanger and then measure the lenght of that. When ya buy the line go a tad longer and then you can cut and reflare one end if necessary. Take the old one with you to ensure fittings (on both ends) have the same threads. Start at the carb when bending to get the line to 'line up' with the tab by the coolant neck (at front of valve cover). If you plan to install a filter between the carb and pump, now is a good time. One short piece from carb, inline filter, then route to pump. Good luck!

Last edited by Big Tee; 01/17/2011 5:15 PM.

"My tires and tubes are doing fine, but the air is showing through" smile

1946 Chevrolet 1/2-ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 205
I also purchased the pre-bent one's and they fit perfect. I also bought the SS Vacume line for my 1953, 1954 and my 1958 truck's and they are awesome. If you're doing a restore and you want it to look factory and you want to be proud to open the hood at a show save you money and buy the pre-bent units. of course that's just my opion and I love reading what you guy have to say. I'm here to learn and help.

Scott


Chevytruckdaddy
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

If you can bend and flare tubing, do it. Otherwise, the pre-bent units are usually good. Just be sure you get a fuel line for a truck or car fuel pump (they are different in some years).

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
The only thing I would add is, if you're doing it yourself, buy tubing that is actually a little longer then you need. If a flare gets messed up, you'll be able to cut it off and start again.


Drew
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Thanks for all of the ideas. Given how inexpensive line is at my FLAPS and I have the tools already, I'm going to give it a try. If it doesn't work to my satisfaction, I'll pony up and buy a pre-bent line.

I'm relieved to read that the fit and finish is good. The last thing I want is to spend money on junk.

As recommended, I'll slightly "over-buy" to make sure I get it right.

Thanks to all! Good food for thought.

Bill

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I found a piece already flared with nuts at NAPA the right length for my '56. I just don't remember what the length was.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
I'm halfway there, Cletis. I thought I'd buy one pre-flared + nuts, but extra long and then cut/flare one end to make it the right length...and then after bending, twisting, and kinking it so that it looks worse than the one I have installed, I'll end up buying a pre-bent one from one of our sponsors.

That's my plan.

Bill

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Good plan.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
type "Swagelock tubing bender instructions" into google and you'll get their manual that tells you exactly how and where to bend tube exactly right every time.
Do it yourself, its fun !


1946 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Sometimes I forget where I left myself....
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374
One last tip, tape the fittings to each end of the line. Nothing is more frustrating than making the perfect bend, only to find the fitting has slid to the wrong side of that 'perfect' bend. Good luck!


"My tires and tubes are doing fine, but the air is showing through" smile

1946 Chevrolet 1/2-ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
The pre-bent stuff usually only comes up 4 ft. It is double flaired so you can use it for brake lines (unless they have somthing I don't know about)

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Andy46: Whew! Those "Swagelock Tubing Bender Instructions" contain LOTS of detail. Thanks for the tip!

Big Tee: Been there, done that. blush Good call!

Bill

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I need to see those instructions....
Have a 3/8" Swagelok bender, and it is hands down the best tubing bender I own or have ever seen. Need to find more sizes of them too, without loosing an arm and a leg.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
They maybe a little pricey, but in my experience with tubing benders is you get what you pay for.
Keep an eye on ebay and you can come across them reasonable, download the pdf instruction manual and you'll be bending like a pro in no time, you can even sell some preformed lines online, and get some cash back!
Cheers
AM


1946 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Sometimes I forget where I left myself....
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
I want my fuel and vac lines to look "near stock." Should I buy steel or stainless? Pros/Cons? And yes, I'll buy pre-bent.

Thanks,


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
I'm not sure why they need to be double flared. I used a very hard, pre-painted fuel line all the way from the tank to the pump, then from there to the filter and a short piece to the carb. All single flares and also my first go at flaring tubes. I had no problems, will they fail at some point?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Pro for steel: more original
Pro for stainless: never rust
Con for steel: if you don't want it to show surface corrosion, you'll need some clear coat on it (and it might need some periodic maintenance). If you don't clear coat it, then it will look like yours did back in the late '50s
Con for stainless: if you are bending it yourself, it isn't as easy to bend as alloy steel

There is a third option: FLAPS also sell a very dark colored line, not quite black, has a tinge of green in it. I wouldn't call this "near stock" either.

I ended up buying straight steel lines, and bent them all exactly how I wanted them. I replaced my pump/carb fuel line, the vacuum line between the pump and carb base, and also the steel vacuum line mounted to the engine block on the passenger side. By bending them myself, I eliminated any question whether my fuel pump connection points are stock, as well as the fuel filter bowl location (I have a small brass fitting between the carb and the filter bowl).

My motivation to change out the old lines wasn't because of rust. It was because the lines were kinked and hand-bent. They were entirely too long. I'm happy with my new lines.

Bill


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0