hi guys i dont know what engine i have exactly so i was wandering if i can post a vid on you tube,you could guide me....first thing i want to do is rebuild/buy the carb...if the mod agrees ill post a link when i can to the vid tia
I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Interesting video, but not enough information. There is a machined pad right behind the distributor, with a stamped, not cast number. The first few digits of that number indicate engine size, 228, 248, 270, 302, etc. Somebody might be able to cross-reference the casting number, but the stamped number will identify the engine size for sure. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
thanks jerry i will look t the number again ant tis time ill remember its stamped not cast 1953 panel said it but i was too exited to take pics that i forgot where to look
thank you for the kind words LarryW and the rest of you folks for the info.I am gathering as much info as i can since my dad in law wont let me touch it yet. we found a zenith carb and my F.I.L said that it was original. right now im looking for some doors since the ones we have are rusted badly on the bottom.i will buy a cover for it so rain cant get into the cab anymore... thanks again Seth
On the GMC inline blocks I've been working on the serial on the deck at the distributor base always had a prefix number. If it was a 228. it stated that in the first three numbers. Even the 450 and 503 had that system.
i found the cast number it is F 270 922 845 and i need to find a carb if anyone has one for sale can you email me please [email protected] thanks
The prefix "F" is a factory code that indicates a block/bore spec that is "non standard" (different prefix letters mean different variances from standard). This is common and standard on many GMC 6-cylinder blocks.
There is information on this code at Rob English's oldGMCtrucks.com website. That information (taken from GMC documentation, also shown on Rob's site) states that the "F" code is a suffix. However, it looks like GMC document-writers got "prefix" and suffix" mixed up and the code is actually a prefix code/letter, as you found.
If you are interested in buying/selling parts, place an ad in the Swap Meet.
Quick update. I found out that the 270 is not stuck,it spins freely. I also found the correct carburetor,Im slowly buying parts. Im still missing the starter and I think It will be ready to start it. Im just tinkering with this truck since I have a major project going on. In the meanwhile I found a 302 gmc and a 270 gmc with the "H" head. I dont have a project to stick the 302 into but I know it's out there. well Thanks I will update as I go.