| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (baldeagle),
158
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 83 | I've removed the windshield frame from my '41 pickup for replacement. In the process, I noticed there is a small hole in each side corner of where the windshield frame fits into the body. The hole connects to a short metal tube that runs through the top of the cowl, and then it appears this metal tube attaches to a rubber tube that drains to somewhere. In my case, the rubber tubes have broken off long ago. The principle seems to be similar to how the cowl vent drain tube works. But I'm wondering where these windshield drain tubes are supposed to exit. Can anybody tell me?
Last edited by summerfi; 01/10/2011 3:59 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | On mine there are steel tubes right in front of the door post (the one the hinges attach to). These extend from about 10” above the cab floor behind the side kick panels. They exit the cab and extend about ½” below the floor. They are right where the front of the rocker panel screws to the cab. I assumed that these were connected to the ones you described at the windshield frame with rubber hoses.
I had a ball in Missolua one time !! | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | When I did my truck, those tubes were long gone. I used clear PVC plastic tubing ( aquarium supply ), routed down and out thru floorboards. These end up concealed by kick panels. Other drain you might need to address is the one from the cowl vent area. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 83 | Thanks guys. Using the info you gave, I sure enough did find metal tubes hiding inside the door posts. It is obvious this is where the upper tubes connect.
Kip, come visit Missoula again sometime and I'll take you flyfishing. It's a great place to live. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 | Sorry for off topic, Missoula is a beautiful place, camped at the KOA there. Lots of non rusty old iron there. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 89 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 89 | Just make sure the metal tubes are not bent or clogged with dirt. I took mine out as they were bent and took them to the local NAPA store and just got new metal tubing the same size along with the rubber to connect the windshield drain to the metal tubing running down the door posts. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | What no one has mentioned yet is that those drain tubes were never designed to handle the amount of water that comes through/around the windshield seal . Even with the windshield tightly closed most of it ends up in your lap.  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 237 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 237 | Has anybody successfully installed one of these crankout windshields that does not dump water in your lap when it rains and/or seal completely to keep the wind out when you do not want it open?
Last night I set my first windshield on my 41 1ton and still have some tweaking to do with it. After that one is complete I will start on my 46 Suburban.
It would appear that as a last resort I may have to glue/add foam rubber to the windshield opening on my body rather than the windshield frame.
Also what have you used to adhere the rubber seal to the windshield frame?
Thank you, Dave Murray | | |
| |
| |