Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,131 Posts1,056,367 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 35 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 35 | Are the left and right tail lights interchangible?
Probably going to go with a roll pan with licence plate in the middle, and wont need the built in licence light on the left side, wondering if I can just get 2 rights and put them on both sides?
Buying them from Classic Industries most likely.
1950 3100 Project-just getting started
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 104 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 104 | I used the round ones from a 54 on my 53, and also a 54 bumper and license plate bracket. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I want LED lights in mine. Can you buy the LED bulbs for a standard light?
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 136 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 136 | Duwem, My original style tail lights are interchangeable.
Big Chevy 3600 Yes, you can buy LED Bulbs to replace most any filament bulb now. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | Speedway motors sells them. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I want LED lights in mine. Can you buy the LED bulbs for a standard light? Yes but you may be disappointed as I was at the amount of light they put out. Every 6v LED I found is a poor substitute for the incandescent bulb it replaces.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I want LED lights in mine. Can you buy the LED bulbs for a standard light? Yes but you may be disappointed as I was at the amount of light they put out. Every 6v LED I found is a poor substitute for the incandescent bulb it replaces. I wonder if 12v is much better.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | I think the license plate light,and left and right brackets are the only difference.
Tim
1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Tims right, The brackets are different If Duwem is going to use this Bracket It would have to be modified to accept the Right side lamp The center hole on the driver’s bracket would have to be drilled out on the diagonal so the counduit will clear, But it could be done. This is refering to aftermarket housings, Good luck | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | I wonder if 12v is much better. I have no issues with my 12v LEDs they're a whole lot brighter than the incandescents. 1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 35 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 35 | Thinking I would use this bracket for the right side and get 2 right tail lights so I dont have the licence light on the left. http://www.classicindustries.com/truck/parts/ct26686.htmlThen I would lop off the licence mounting off the left side and just leave the tail light part. Should work right?
1950 3100 Project-just getting started
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Here's a pic of a after market tail lamps on a 50 pass side pic Note the outlet for the conduit. drivers side pic notice conduit outlet is different. Its higher on the housing, It looks to me that if you want to mount a pass side housing on that drivers style bracket you will have to drill the bracket for the conduit outlet. Good luck | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | Brothers Truck Parts has tail light brackets to do what you want. They remove the license plate part so you could use 2 right hand tail lights. I have the 12 volt led tail lights, they sure are brighter! I like them! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Brothers Truck Parts has tail light brackets to do what you want. They remove the license plate part so you could use 2 right hand tail lights. I have the 12 volt led tail lights, they sure are brighter! I like them! Did they come with the LED lights or did you get them at the FLAPS?
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | They came with LED lights! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 55 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 55 | Duwem , the left tail light should have a little window at the bottom to shed light on the license plate while the right tail light will not have this feature. Funton | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I saw an ad for these guys and since we did discuss taillights you might be interested in this link: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2F1157.htm
~Jim
| | |
| |