The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ponchogl, Wheelie, John Dlugos), 93 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,358
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 35
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 35
Are the left and right tail lights interchangible?

Probably going to go with a roll pan with licence plate in the middle, and wont need the built in licence light on the left side, wondering if I can just get 2 rights and put them on both sides?

Buying them from Classic Industries most likely.


1950 3100 Project-just getting started
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 104
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 104
I used the round ones from a 54 on my 53, and also a 54 bumper and license plate bracket.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I want LED lights in mine. Can you buy the LED bulbs for a standard light?


~Jim
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
Duwem, My original style tail lights are interchangeable.

Big Chevy 3600 Yes, you can buy LED Bulbs to replace most any filament bulb now.


1952 Chevy 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket

Doin better'n some an worse than others. Life's what ya make of it. FAMILY, GOD and COUNTRY. Love it or Leave it.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Speedway motors sells them.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by BIG CHEVY 3600
I want LED lights in mine. Can you buy the LED bulbs for a standard light?
Yes but you may be disappointed as I was at the amount of light they put out. Every 6v LED I found is a poor substitute for the incandescent bulb it replaces.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Originally Posted by Tiny
Originally Posted by BIG CHEVY 3600
I want LED lights in mine. Can you buy the LED bulbs for a standard light?
Yes but you may be disappointed as I was at the amount of light they put out. Every 6v LED I found is a poor substitute for the incandescent bulb it replaces.
I wonder if 12v is much better.


~Jim
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I think the license plate light,and left and right brackets are the only difference.

Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Tims right,

The brackets are different

If Duwem is going to use this Bracket

It would have to be modified to accept the Right side lamp

The center hole on the driver’s bracket would have to be drilled out on the diagonal so the counduit will clear, But it could be done.

This is refering to aftermarket housings,

Good luck

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by BIG CHEVY 3600
I wonder if 12v is much better.

I have no issues with my 12v LEDs they're a whole lot brighter than the incandescents.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 35
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 35
Thinking I would use this bracket for the right side and get 2 right tail lights so I dont have the licence light on the left.

http://www.classicindustries.com/truck/parts/ct26686.html

Then I would lop off the licence mounting off the left side and just leave the tail light part.

Should work right?


1950 3100 Project-just getting started
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Here's a pic of a after market tail lamps on a 50

pass side pic Note the outlet for the conduit.

drivers side pic

notice conduit outlet is different. Its higher on the housing,

It looks to me that if you want to mount a pass side housing on that drivers style bracket you will have to drill the bracket for the conduit outlet.

Good luck

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
Brothers Truck Parts has tail light brackets to do what you want. They remove the license plate part so you could use 2 right hand tail lights. I have the 12 volt led tail lights, they sure are brighter! I like them!

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Originally Posted by coach-frank
Brothers Truck Parts has tail light brackets to do what you want. They remove the license plate part so you could use 2 right hand tail lights. I have the 12 volt led tail lights, they sure are brighter! I like them!
Did they come with the LED lights or did you get them at the FLAPS?


~Jim
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
They came with LED lights!

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 55
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 55
Duwem , the left tail light should have a little window at the bottom to shed light on the license plate while the right tail light will not have this feature. Funton

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I saw an ad for these guys and since we did discuss taillights you might be interested in this link:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2F1157.htm


~Jim

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0