The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Frank50, Nick in Manitou, Donf, 1 invisible), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,636
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 47
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 47
What needs to be done when using a donor van column. The shaft is quite a bit shorter than the original. Can the van column be taken apart and shaft swapped w/ a non tilt shaft like below the tilt assembly ? Or add on to the shaft legth with a coupling or a repair sleeve. thanks

Last edited by roofus; 12/14/2010 8:05 PM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
What truck you working on? ?? Most guys modifying the steering like the van column's be because they do tilt. If your street rodding and put power steering on it you'll need a double "D" shaft and couplings anyway. If I'm reading this right then I'd say add on to what you have.....or am I missing something?
Just my .02


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
I used a column from CPP, it is easy to install, has tilt and all the hook up. I see lots of other ones and assume they all work about the same. You can order different length.


1954 Chevy Half-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Shutterfly
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

<> + <> + <> + <> + <>
"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~~ OLD FROG
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 47
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 47
Its a 65 c10, I am going to install power steering when I do this. I was reading that there are plastic rivets in the column that can be removed and the shaft will then slide in or out. I had the 2 columns removed sitting next to each other and the van column is shorter than the original.

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 70
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 70
Find the shaft from a GM car or truck that goes between the van column and the power steering box. You can adjust the length of that piece by drilling out the plastic rivets.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0