The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#702228 12/10/2010 1:33 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I put Fenton headers on my '54 with a 248. Then I had the same glaspacs put on it that are on my '56 with a 350. The '56 sounds deep and mellow. The '54 sounds loud and obnoxious.

The installer claims it is the difference between a 6 cyl. and an 8 cyl. They won't do anything about it unless I pay more money. I already paid $100 more than what I paid for the '56 system. They aren't getting any more of my money.

Now I need to figure out how to fix it myself. I'm thinking about adding another set of mufflers near the outlet. My reasoning is maybe the long pipe after the muffler is making it sound obnoxious. The '56 pipes are shorter, exiting just forward of the axle. The burb pipes go all the way to the back. Any comments on that theory?

Someone told me that Suburbans are going to sound louder than pickups because of all the empty space in the cab. Opinions?

I'm thinking about using these Walkers. Have any of y'all used them?

Any other suggestions?


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
I'd suspect they're right, a 6 would be a lot different sound with the same muffler .... rather than the length of the tail pipe per-se I think a panel/burb body will be louder [to the driver] the further forward the mufflers are ... might consider adding resonators at the back

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 35
If you split the exhaust with the fenton headers and are running two exhaust pipes and two mufflers consider adding an x pipe 18 inches or so back from the headers.

This will help equalize the exhaust pulses and cut down on the exhaust rap on deceleration.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Cletis, had the same problem over the years. "My" take on it is the fact the 54 has the pipes going over the rear end which can cause a " back pressure" and will them sound louder.

...that said, I had a 350 with headers in my 63 stepside awhile back with the pipes coming out the side (not going over axle) and it was fairly quite untill I stood on the gas pedal.. but even then it was not as loud as the 350, with the same mufflers, but with the tail pipes out the back. So, I think its the fact they are going over the rear "hump". I've been wrong before but this is "my findings" anyone else tried both??


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Charlie,

With a 6-cylinder Chevrolet 261, I am using Patrick's stainless steel dual-exhaust system muffler (one muffler with two-inlets and two outlets) and it is too loud in the cab for me.

Previously (with the same 261), I used two stock-style mufflers (Walkers from NAPA) and they were quiet in the cab. The stock mufflers had no packing material and had a slotted/baffled straight-though pipe inside the round/cylindrical muffler.

However, from the rear of the pickup the sound was another matter. A local policeman who stopped me for speeding said he had to call me in when doing 55 in a 30 zone because the sound from the pipes made him think I was going to try to run him. I thanked him for the compliment and asked him if he would write that down to show my friends (he was just a kid and did not know that the ticket would disappear after a phone call).

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
An X pipe and mufflers more toward the rear are good pieces of advice. What diameter pipe are you running? Also, running the tips all the way back to the bumper and then angled like factory would be better as well. Not so sure about the theory of pipes running over the rear axle causing excessive back pressure, therefore making them sound louder. nono

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I agree with Tim,the mufflers from Patricks are on the loud side.
I like the sound out the tail pipes,but when in the cab,it sounds loud.

Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
Did you use the long or short headers??


Stovebolt CHEVROLET
1949 Chevrolet Suburban
Non stovebolt CHEVROLET
1958 Impala Convertible
1963 Impala Convertible
MY 1949 SUBURBAN
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3Le4kQmkKGrHqQOKkIEyOD6OnQjBMlR5ZKJng_121.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3LfyCQEWkKGrHqEOKkEEyNoRGLUBMlR8HrYzg_121.jpg
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I have the cast iron Fentons on my engine.



Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I also have the cast-iron Fentons on my engine.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Me too, cast iron Fentons. I'm not aware that they come in long and short.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
different cylinders will always make a different sound for sure, whether it be 4,6,8,10,12,16 or what. probably has something to do with how they breath, not sure, but ever since day one, I always heard six cylinders sounded better then 8 with duals, you guys never heard that


get you some smitthy's, had them on my 235 with fenton headers and they sounded great, I believe the length may determine how quite they are. they are also on my current 52 sedan with the 350..as mention previous total different sound out of eight vs six

Last edited by joker; 12/12/2010 10:51 PM.

Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
Sorry i thought fenton made a long header version too im still learngin this stovebolt stuff are these headers any good that are sold by langdons??im working on as 292 for my suburban
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/3n03mb3l25Q55T45S4abe5a97140271db193e.jpg

Last edited by bigtony55; 12/12/2010 11:36 PM.

Stovebolt CHEVROLET
1949 Chevrolet Suburban
Non stovebolt CHEVROLET
1958 Impala Convertible
1963 Impala Convertible
MY 1949 SUBURBAN
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3Le4kQmkKGrHqQOKkIEyOD6OnQjBMlR5ZKJng_121.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3LfyCQEWkKGrHqEOKkEEyNoRGLUBMlR8HrYzg_121.jpg
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Charlie, you didn't say how long the glasspacks are that you are currently running. The longer the muffler the quieter the exhaust will be. The idea of putting mufflers closer to the exhaust exit in conjunction with the current glasspacks will work to "mellow out" the exhaust note a lot. As mentioned earlier you can install resonator tips to help some. Can't wait to see the "Burb" on an Oklahoma run!


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The glaspacs are 18". They are the longest the shop stocks. The way he has them bent there's no room for any longer ones. There is room for another set near the rear.

I plan to have it in El Reno in June.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
Quiet is for the girls.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

And, quiet is nice for passengers in the back of a Suburban.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I welded in the Walker mufflers today and it sounds great. Thanks to 64fleetside for hitting the books and finding a muffler I could use. It still has that great split manifold sound going through the gears but is quiet once up to speed on the highway.



"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
Do you have a ouple pictures of your system? And, can you give a little more insoght about the Walkers? Glad you brought this up! tom


1946 GMC Project
"Back-in-the-day Restore"
Read the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
These are the mufflers I used. That page has the specs for them.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Quiet is for anyone who has to be in the car for more than 1 hour.
Then why doesn't it bother more people?
They're going deaf.
No, I'm not kidding. It's not as loud because you damaged your eardrums. Most of it comes back, but some of it never does.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0