The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Rusted Nut, 68ironhead, 1 invisible), 88 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
Working on my '51 chevy truck 1/2 ton with a deluxe heater. The motor for the heater has now been changed to a 12v motor and so has been all the electrical system. I am in the process of installing the switch...here comes the question.
I like the looks of the 6v switch and find the 12 volts switch rather funny looking, can I used the 6 volts switch (if so, how?) instead of using the 12 volts one?

http://d1.scribdassets.com/ScribdVi...1ee0nwga701&page=1&viewMode=list
Part No. 47-03905 for the 6 volts switch I like and Part No. 47-03906 12 volts which I would rather not have to use.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
The six volt switch will be heavier duty than the 12 volt one. You will be able to use it no problem.

That is a good catalog, haven't heard of them before. That may be another good parts source for all the fellow stovebolters.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
likely the resistance of the 2 would be different for different voltage and motor current requirements [I=E/R] - if looks are the main consideration try the 6v one and see if it burns out, if so buy the 12v and switch the face plate and knob wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by FriedGreenTmater
The six volt switch will be heavier duty than the 12 volt one. You will be able to use it no problem.

That is a good catalog, haven't heard of them before. That may be another good parts source for all the fellow stovebolters.

Is a good place to buy parts from and is only about 30 minutes from my place and they got most everything on stock...can't beat that!

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by squeeze
likely the resistance of the 2 would be different for different voltage and motor current requirements [I=E/R] - if looks are the main consideration try the 6v one and see if it burns out, if so buy the 12v and switch the face plate and knob wink

Bill
Thanks Bill, I already try switching out the face plates but the mechanism and the connection to the knob are different...worst comes to worst I will end up epoxing the knob and customizing the faceplate to fit. I will try it with the 6 volt switch by itself and see if it won't burn up. Thx

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
I just installed the 12v one and it sucks. It's a flimsy POS that won't clamp tightly and every vendor sell the same junk.

Last edited by Czechman; 11/16/2010 12:34 PM.

Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Originally Posted by Czechman
I just installed the 12v one and it sucks. It's a flimsy POS that won't clamp tightly and every vendor sell the same junk.

I bought the new 12v switch.
Never installed it. The backing cracked in pieces while waiting to be installed. Its junk.

New 12v switch pic

If possible use an original.

Good Luck

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by DADS50
Originally Posted by Czechman
I just installed the 12v one and it sucks. It's a flimsy POS that won't clamp tightly and every vendor sell the same junk.

I bought the new 12v switch.
Never installed it. The backing cracked in pieces while waiting to be installed. Its junk.

New 12v switch pic

If possible use an original.


Wow!!! That's good to know. I am installing my 6volts unit for sure and taking my chances....Those new switches are junk.
Good Luck


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0