The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
I have a 1939 Packard with a flying lady holding a wheel as a hood ornamnent. She has a piece of glass about 5" long, which look like wings. The glass wing is held on by a pinch fit between her body and head. The head is held on with a long screw running from the ornament base to the head. I want to send the chromed pot metal lady to the platers but can't get the glass wing out of the body as the PO has cemented or glued the wing to the body. The cement seems to be some sort of rubber compound. Any suggestions on how to remove the wing? Thanks in advance.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
You might have to just keep working the wing until it comes off.
Or just soak it in paint stripper, that will reduce the glue or rubber compound.
Be sure the wings are glass though, if they are acrylic they will crack and shatter if you soak them in anything that contains alcohol.


1946 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Sometimes I forget where I left myself....
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
I have already tried "Kroil, the oil that creeps". No luck. I'm now trying silicone, as it seems to get under and turn loose rubber compounds. I'll try your suggestion next. BTW, it is glass and if you know Packard parts, you don't want to have to buy another. Thanks


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
I'm hesitant to suggest this because of the rarity and value of the piece. I have noticed that the carb-dip buckets really does a number on rubber.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
rubber cement uses acetone as a solvent and remover

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
Bill has a good suggestion, try the acetone first before going the paint stripper route, better safe than sorry.
Glass adhesive could be etched right into the glass but it should still come off.
Maybe if you can get an air fitting into the threaded portion you could use air to help pop it out?


1946 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Sometimes I forget where I left myself....
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
If you can't get the ladies wings off, I'll be glad to take the car off your hands !!
smile


1946 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Sometimes I forget where I left myself....
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 23
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 23
Right church, wrong Pew. Try packardinfo.com. You can be sure that someone on that forum has faced the same problem. No offense to Stovebolt.com but the hood ornaments are a bit different.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
At the end of the day, I clean the 60+ year old grease from under my fingernails. I don't much care what marque it came off of. The love of bringing old tin new life is enough.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Whew!!! It finally let go. The bath of acetone helped big time. I was able to slip a very thin blade between the glass and metal to cut most of the softened glue. Then took a piece of small diameter welding wire, put a chisel tip on it and used it as a drill bit. Glass popped out, no worst for wear. Thanks guys!


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 215
Now we know who's more stubborn, the hood ornament or the owner!
Good stuff!


1946 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Sometimes I forget where I left myself....

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0