The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (wilbur53, 2 invisible), 71 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,572
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 58
'
New Guy
New Guy
' Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 58
I'm near welding in the motor mounts on my 350. My floorboard is against the trans. Bellhousing. It's just touching at the top. Is that a problem? Can't get the front of the engine lower because the balancer is 1/2" from the Power Steering. Running a Fan Clutch and Fan so I wanted to get the engine as far back as possible. (I have 2 degrees neg. on the Balancer so the Differential Pinion can be set at 0 degrees) Will noise transfer into the cab with the floor touching the transmission?

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 188
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 188
Oh Ya!! You'll get a nice drumming vibration from the contact.
Either grind off the contact point on the bell or massage the firewall with a BFH.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 319
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 319
Yes, it's a problem, and yes, noise will be transferred.
Move engine forward/down, or move floor up/back.

cm


If you can't fix it with a hammer and screwdriver, you need a bigger hammer.
1965 Chevy C10
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
Yup....I raised the rear of my TH350 with a 1" spacer to zero out my carb base..Also to gain some distributor/firewall clearance....yes, mines rubbing also.I need to take a wizzwheel and do some trimming.......dave


1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
You'll need to cut/hammer/grind enough clearance into the body to not only keep it from touching when it's not running, but add a little extra room to account for engine movement when under torque. Things are going to move around a little when you step on the gas- - -usually the driver's side tries to lift a little until the flex in the motor mounts gets taken up.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Mine was touching the firewall to. I took a pair of tin snips and cut the same arch as the tranny. A little at a time. When I had the clearance, like Jerry suggested, I took my dremel tool and smoothed it up real good. Once the floor covering is in it no one will ever know.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I had the same problem,I just trimmed enough (about 1/2") to gain a little clearance and as Alvin mentioned,the trans cover will 'hide' it.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 58
'
New Guy
New Guy
' Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 58
Well, as a final report, I had to move the engine forward because of the HEI Distributor being so close to the firewall; then I had the welding shop make a 3/4" thick plate which was welded over the transmission mounting surface (that raised the rear of the transmission); then I found, with the whole thing forward abit, I now have about 1/4" clearance from the bellhousing. I'll follow your suggestions and trim about 1/2" total. I did think there was a possibility of noise in the cab with the floorboard touching the transmission and you guys reconfirmed that. I'm installing a lot of sound deadening material in the cab prior to upholstery so what happens here is important. Again, thanks.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983


~Jim

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0