Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Guitplayer),
99
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,425 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 163 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 163 | I just changed out the fuel pump in my 46 COE. It has a full pressure 235 in it. It's been a few months since it ran but a few month ago it started right up.
After the fuel pump was installed the engine would not turn over with the starter. I did not check to see if it turned over prior to changing. The teeth are engaging it just appears it doesn't have enough juice to turn it over. I makes that "I'm trying but it's not going to work" sound.
1. I pulled the starter out and bench tested it, works fine. 2. Put it back in same problem, doesn't work. 3. Teeth are engaging. 4. Pulled all spark plugs, still won't turn over with the starter. 5. I pulled the inspection coverage off the bellhousing. I can turn the engine over with my hand, fairly easy. Verified teeth are engaging with the flywheel. 6. Pulled the starter off my 52 2ton. Put it in the COE. Same problem. The 52 ton ran a few weeks ago. 7. I bypassed the wiring and hooked the jump starter directly to the starter while on engine. won't turn over. 8. Turned the engine over by hand while my son verified the rockers were all moving. (I'm not sure why I did this, it just seemd like a good thing to do) 9. Pulled the fuel pump, problem is still there.
car is in neutral, battery is good, car is pos. ground. But most of the time I have been bypassing the wiring and hooking directly to the starter. This seems like such a simple problem, I just can't figure it out. I'm thinking maybe when I installed the fuel pump something got into the hole and jammed it up. But what I can figure out is why can I turn it over by hand.
Help.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | What is the starter doing? You say the teeth engage, so the starter drive is OK? Does the starter spin or do nothing? I'm thinking you should have a negitive ground as opposed to a positive ground? So how is the engine grounded? Most trucks have a braided cable from the frame to the engine. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 163 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 163 | The teeth are poping out and engaging with the flywheel teeth, the problem is the flywheel isn't turning.
It is positive ground. But it have been bypassing the battery with my jump starter and hooking up directly to the starter. I attempted with the battery and no jumper starter and it does the same thing. I'm not sure if the nef vrs pos ground matters with the starter. I have switched the cables from the jump starter and it made no difference. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | What gauge cables are on your "jump starter".
What brand/model of "jump starter" do you have?
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | "Battery is good." Did you check the voltage across its posts
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | It sounds like a ground connection to me. Check all your connections and I'll bet you find the problem IF your battery is good. I'm not an auto electric expert but I've found the battery to be the source of most of the problems I've had.
Last edited by 53moneypit; 10/22/2010 2:40 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | Does your negative battery cable go to the frame or engine? You may find that you have a separate cable from the engine to the frame. Make sure both are clean. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 9 | Take a voltmeter, and measure the voltage drop between the battery post and the engine when you are trying to start it. If you have more than .3V or so, then you have a bad connection. Do the same with the positive terminal.
You'll probably need a helper to do this. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | But it have been bypassing the battery with my jump starter and hooking up directly to the starter. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Just a random thought: If you can turn the engine by hand easily and the flywheel turns when doing so then the problem has to be in the starter. I know you said you tried a different starter with the same results. Perhaps it needs shims, It may be meshing so tight up against the flywheel that it binds the starter and won't allow it to turn.
EDIT: I notice that the starter out of your 52 should be a negative ground starter. Does hooking it up backwards make it turn a different direction? I don't know the answer to that question.
Last edited by FriedGreenTmater; 10/22/2010 4:40 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 | Starters run the same direction regardless of polarity unless they're the permanent-magnet type that have come into use in the past 20 years or so. It sounds like there's a connection problem, or the battery just isn't up to the task of heavy-load cranking. Do a full-load battery test, where half the cold cranking amp rating is applied for 15 seconds, then the terminal voltage is checked. 12 volt batteries should show at least 9.6 volts at the end of the load test, and 6 volt batteries should show at least 4.5 volts after loading. Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 10/22/2010 7:02 PM.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | From reading his posts it would seem that he has eliminated the battery from the equation by using his charger pack direct to the starter. Correct me if I'm wrong. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | Jumper pack directly to the starter alone likely won't be enough. They're made to assist the battery.
I came across this problem in a 150 Chevy truck.
Turns out the battery cable went to the frame and another from the frame to engine because the battery was still under the floor.
Took the cable loose at the frame in both places and cleaned the cable and frame and the truck started.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 163 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 163 | Thanks for the replies. I think the majority of my problem was the assumption that the jump starter would supply enough juice to bypass the battery entirely, I don't think that is the case.
I made some new battery cables, hooked everything back up, didn't work. I then moved the ground from the back of the transmission to the engine block. The engine turned over without the spark plugs in. For whatever reason grounding to the transmission doesn't work. I cleaned the groung pad up and it still doesn't like it when I ground to the tranny.
I have also determined that my battery is shot. When I hit the starter the voltage drops from 6.2v range to 1.8v. I think the battery is done. I've ran it dead more than 20 times. I use it in an old 8n tractor that doesn't like to start in the winter.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,818 | Have you checked the concentration of the acid? When a battery is fully charged, the specific gravity of the acid is going to be 1.265 or so, possibly as much as 1.300. A discharged battery can have a gravity reading as low as 1.100 or less. By measuring the strength of the acid with a hydrometer, you can determine whether or not the battery is accepting a charge. "Sulfated" batteries have the ability to accept a surface charge, but they have little or no reserve capacity. One or two tries at starting will drain them badly. Sometimes a sulfated battery can be reclaimed by repeatedly slow charging it, then running it all the way down by connecting a slow, constant drain like a headlight bulb. Try a few drain/recharge cycles before giving up on this one. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 295 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 295 | Unless you reverse either the field or the armature a DC motor will not reverse. True for series (starter motors) shunt and compound.
You can reverse DC line without reversing motor.
EXCEPTION permanent magnet DC motors. In this case reversing the line reverses the armature and the motor will reverse.
Dan Bentler | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 | Buy a new battery and use it to start the motor. Not your jumper.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | If you are going to keep the truck and you are planing to stay 6v, buying a good, new battery is money well-spent (as cmayna suggests) AND buying correct gauge battery (2, or preferably 0, or 00) cables (both leads) are also a necessity (and thus is also money well spent).
| | |
| |