My truck has a gear whine that bothers me. It's loud enough that you can hear it from a block away. It doesn't matter if it's running or not, in or out of gear, or clutch depressed or not, as long as the truck is moveing. Have a listen, tell me what you think.
I thought pinion bearing noise got worse with a load on the drive train and quieter at a coast or deceleration, where as my truck does the opposite. I can change the tone and volume of the whine by moveing the shift lever back and forth as if trying to shift without useing the clutch, just before I force it out of gear the noise sometimes quiets or stops all together.
I don't have enough experience to even guess at the noise, but from what you say about shifting would it make sense to drain the transmission, unhook the shifter links and pull the side case to look inside? At least you're not removing too much right away. Another thought is to raise the truck and run the engine and driveline to listen for the noise. But do it safely. Maybe you know of a shop that can put it on a chassis lift for you.
listened and I would look at the starter.the bendix.use a steathascope to listen too the starter.my spelling???? OR a long piece of hose.one end on your starter,the other to your ear.It,s only my guess.At first I was thinking the damper pully on the front of the engine.also listen to the generator
I would suggest using a piece of 3/8 hose to give you a very directional listening tool without getting too close. You could also run it with the rear on stands.
As far as draining the transmission or rearend fluid, you might find metal flakes coming out.
Sounds like an old truck. That said, mine sounds similar, I believe it's sound transmitted through the closed drivetrain from the pinion bearing, A good cleaning, and greasing may help, or R & R.
The ring & pinion gears are worn out. Start shopping for a replacement rear axle before it locks up entirely! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but, if it's the rear end, how can I change the sound or even stop the sound by moveing the shift lever around? If I have the truck in gear and I'm accelerating, I can pull the shift lever toward neutral and the sound sometimes stops completely until I let go of the shift lever or pull it out of gear or stop accelerating. Like I said, I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I'm just haveing trouble understanding how the shift lever is having any effect on rear end noise.
you change the sound with the lever because it's being transmitted into the cab by metal to metal vibrations along the shift components .... as said above, you need to use a piece of tubing against various locations to isolate the problem area while running the truck on jack stands
As mentioned above, I'd get the thing on a lift or good jack stands, then narrow down just what general area this noise is comming from. These old trucks are all about weird noises, all fixable. Or could be coming from the CEMETERY!
I believe its pinion related, if you listen, it stays right with the tire rpm. A transmission noise would change with each rpm (gear) change. By moving the lever you are simply isolating the noise from the cab as stated above. Clamp your camera under the bed above the axle and go drive it, I bet the noise stay steady. Get the truck up on stands and run it up in high gear, then slowly pull the park brake to load the gears while holding the rpm steady, it should start to really whine.
Gear noisy will come and go as you load and unload the gears such as climbing a hill or coasting. Pinion bearing noise will stay pretty steady, you will still notice a change but not as dramatic.
Sounded to me like your starter was making some noise when you first engaged it. Like the return spring wasn't returning the starter gear properly. If the starter is still spinning with the engine that would whine A LOT! So I'd check that first.
If it goes away when the shifter is moved around it has something to do with the trans I'd think either in the linkage or a worn transmission. Toss someone in the bed and see what they hear in the back! Diagnosis from the cab sucks since there is so much engine noise in these old trucks.
UP DATE: I put my truck up on jack stands today to isolate the sound. It is coming from the transmission. I found that the vibration was coming from the forward shift lever on the tranny. What's more, if I push on the shaft of the shift lever, pushing it in to the tranny, the sound goes from an anoying whine to a very laud sound like the tranny wants to explode. Is this easily serviced or is it ‘new tranny time’?
Hi, twotone , the noise sounds like it is speed related. I could not see the speedo in your video, but you should first remove the cable at the transmission and try that. If it has the same noise, try removing the speedo drive from the transmission. Make sure that you remove the inner shaft and also you can check the gear for wear.
Keep the 216's running. 1949 1/2 ton model #1314 (US 3104) Brian
Hippy, Sometimes it does sound like it could be the speedo, but I ran the truck without a speedo cable for a while when I got the truck. It made the same sound. I would like to replace the old tranny with a T-5 but that wont happen for a while and I don't want this tranny to shell-out on me before then.
I hate to drag up a really old thread, but I thought I might fill you all in on what I found. I've been driveing this truck for about three years now with an anoying whine from the trans (as described in this thread) and finally found a chance to pull the cover off and have a look inside today. This is what I found: http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/Twotone_photos/My%20truck/IMGP3724.jpg The bar that holds the shift forks in place on the trans cover was missing a nut and was trying to come off! This allowed one shift fork to move out and rest against a gear which made all the noise. I did find the nut, http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/Twotone_photos/My%20truck/IMGP3725.jpg Other then that the case was clean, no grit, no metal shavings, no damage. I put a new nut on with a home made keeper and she's so quiet that I can here other things I need to fix.
Hmmmm- - - - -you really dodged a bullet there! I usually end up with a loose piece like that wedged between two gears, and the transmission case split right down the middle! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
If you didn't find the keeper too me thinks someone in the past had it apart and didn't think the keeper was necessary when putting it back together....wrong.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
I don't have enough experience to even guess at the noise, but from what you say about shifting would it make sense to drain the transmission, unhook the shifter links and pull the side case to look inside? At least you're not removing too much right away. Another thought is to raise the truck and run the engine and driveline to listen for the noise. But do it safely. Maybe you know of a shop that can put it on a chassis lift for you.
I just have to shamelessly gloat . Gave you this guess back in 2010. Glad it worked out just fine.
DrewP, you were right, I'm just slow to act I will be going down to the post office tomorrow to get a cardboard tube to send you a beer
And Tiny, If you look close in the picture you will see that the remaining keeper didn't have the tabs bent up on it either so it wouldn't have been long before that nut worked it's way off too.