The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, klhansen, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 178 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Hey all,

I have a chance to buy this complete, running 1955 Chevy 261 motor for $600.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nrdesieyes/Chevy261?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-i_I2m-6DCXQ&feat=directlink

It's out of a 2-ton 1955 Chevy telephone pole installation truck from a phone company. I heard it run today, it runs pretty darn well, might need a carb rebuild but that's no biggie. Checking compression tomorrow. What do you think? A good candidate for dropping into my 1950 1/2-ton pickup? Do you see anything funky or worrisome? Let me know your thoughts if you have any.

Thanks, as always!

Nick



Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 65
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 65
a paycheck comes 52 times in a year ,,, how often do you come across a good running 261 in your area ?


Let me know if you don't buy it ,,,, I'm in Monterey County


New but in an Old Way !!!
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by J-KAT
a paycheck comes 52 times in a year ,,, how often do you come across a good running 261 in your area ?


Let me know if you don't buy it ,,,, I'm in Monterey County


J-KAT, that's exactly the advice that I was hoping to get. That being said, if I pass on the motor, I'll drop you a line. Cheers!



Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
Nick, run the casting numbers and make sure it is a 261, also it has after market headers that look like fenton knock-offs. looks like a good find.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by garandboy
Nick, run the casting numbers and make sure it is a 261, also it has after market headers that look like fenton knock-offs. looks like a good find.


Hey T
Ran the block and head casting numbers; it's definitely a '55 261. The headers are definitely after market and were replaced recently while getting it back up and running after sitting for three years. There is also a wierd vacuum connection there; the truck had a lot of gear that was run off the vac from the motor, but I think they would be fairly easy fixes.



Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Looks like a fjord motor to me. LOL


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I've been into these old inlines for more years than I can count and have only found one of these OLD 261s for sale, it's in my shop. GO FOR IT!!!

Did you see the factory PCV valve set up?

Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; 10/19/2010 4:17 PM.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Originally Posted by J-KAT
a paycheck comes 52 times in a year ,,, how often do you come across a good running 261 in your area ?

About once a month for me. grin How many do I need to be called a hoarder?



1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Well, compression test results came back pretty even across the board, so I'm gonna go for it. I'll take some photos when it's all gussied up and ready to drop in.



Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Good find.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
You found hen's teeth, be glad you ran across that engine.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by cletis
Good find.


Thanks!



Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by chevman32
You found hen's teeth, be glad you ran across that engine.


Believe me, I'm SUPER excited about this engine. Cheers.



Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 65
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by Curt B.
Originally Posted by J-KAT
a paycheck comes 52 times in a year ,,, how often do you come across a good running 261 in your area ?

About once a month for me. grin How many do I need to be called a hoarder?

thumbs_up do you sell them ?


New but in an Old Way !!!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
Great find, this is the way to go for efficiency and economy. Efficiency because the fan will mount higher on the radiator, economy because your engine will use the (much) cheaper 216 water pump. Congratulations.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Great find, this is the way to go for efficiency and economy. Efficiency because the fan will mount higher on the radiator, economy because your engine will use the (much) cheaper 216 water pump. Congratulations.


Fantastic - thank you for the advice!



Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Congrats! Good luck. Cosmo beat me with the water pump advise. I hope it is a sound motor and you get it in and run it for a long time. wink


Professional Novice
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by Frank50
Congrats! Good luck. Cosmo beat me with the water pump advise. I hope it is a sound motor and you get it in and run it for a long time. wink

Cheers Frank. That's my goal!
best, Nick



Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Originally Posted by J-KAT
thumbs_up do you sell them ?

Never! They feel like orphaned children in which I have a duty to find a good home for. I wonder how many are out there in Canadian Pontiac cars as opposed to U.S. trucks? If the tin worms had done a better job here would be another one:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...iac-Laurentian-4-Door-W0QQAdIdZ224125942


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
Nice find! I paid 300 for mine, It needs everything though. Pistons, crank ground etc.. I think you got a deal. Mine will work the way I want it too, unfortunately not this month.

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
$300 is a good deal - nice find. I'm just a noob when it comes to rebuilding motors, so replacing pistons, etc. would take me forever. Best that I stick with a running motor... for now. Cheers.



Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
hey that truck looks nice! hope you leave the old pinstripin on there! If you need any help drop me a line.

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Hey Jeremy,
Thanks for the compliment! Yeah, the pinstripe stays until I get her happy and on the road, which should be a while. Your truck looks like a humdinger herself - how's she coming along?
And thanks for the offer of help, I may take you up! Whereabouts in SJ are you?
Cheers,
Nick



Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Nick,
When are you getting the motor? Are you ready to pull the old motor yet so you can spend some quality time on the engine bay?



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Hey Craig, The new motor resides in the donor truck currently and likely won't be pulled until mid-December or later - I gotta finish and defend my dissertation!!
smile
n



Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
I'm downtown a couple blocks from HP pavillion. Its been a decent truck so far, a few hiccups like the forty + year old head gasket went away and there's a crack in the side of the engine that lets the water out! Otherwise I drive it almost everyday.
I have more pics to put up I'm just too scattered to sit and do it.

what's your PhD in? Are you at Stanford?

J


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Yep, finishing phd in civil/environmental engineering at Stanford. It's been a slog, but I'm almost done. Looking forward to putting serious time into this truck as dessert. wink
Take care! n



Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269


OK, let's see it: what is the title of your dissertation?

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Oh boy... It's tentatively titled "On-site wastewater treatment systems and submarine groundwater discharge in Central California" and boy howdy is it ever a page-turner!



Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
They all are! LOL!

I read my wife's at least six times. When I was helping her get it finished. I should have an honorary Doctorate!

keep pluggin' away!
J


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
I'm impressed. I can barely get through my own once without falling asleep! wink



Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Just wait til you get to write drainage reports for a living. grin


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
"a living" assumes there are jobs out there...



Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
LOL touche.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
There's one partially disassembled for sale here in Wisconsin for $400. I have thought about buying it myself, but I really don't have the space to store it...


Professional Novice
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 11
Hey guys,
I just bought a 261 long block with a fresh, high buck rebuild done on it (super cheap). The only problem is it has no intake, carb, distributor, rocker arms and such. I have a 51 216 I am looking to replace with this. Will the parts interchange?

Thanks, Pop


PT

67 SWB Chevy
51 chevy project
58 oliver 550

If you think health insurance is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs us when it's free!
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
M
MLT Offline
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
Sounds like a interesting thesis. I'm in the municipal potable and waste treatment biz myself. Isn't California doing a lot of waste water reuse? It's an icky subject but in the end water is h2o no matter where it's been before lol.

Congrats on the engine!


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Hey all,

Pulled this 261 from the donor truck with 'bolter garandboy yesterday. This is how she looked under the cover:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Jkt1Bxh2i1l1--cMTHQnoIS57yeOEu0D66Y1HCcr6ZM?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2ysSZj8zsIryGN0W8M1UM4S57yeOEu0D66Y1HCcr6ZM?feat=directlink

This was my first look under the cover on this motor, so needless to say I'm pretty happy today!!

Cheers,
Nick



Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
The 216 parts will probably bolt on, but they won't be exactly right. The 261 uses a considerably higher-volume carburetor with different bolt spacing at the throttle base, so while the 216 manifolds will fit with some tweaking, you'll be way undersized on the carb with no good way to correct the problem. I think there's a different length pushrod, and the erlier rocker arm assembly has a different oiling system. The distributor will drop in, but the centrifugal advance will probably be wrong - - - -possibly different vacuum advance numbers, also. I'd suggest finding a trashed-out late model 235 as a donor engine- - - -the parts will be a much closer matchup.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
4,218 is how many you would need to be considered a hoarder. Smith brothers will make custom pushrods for like $12 apiece, plus you get a really cool sticker to put in your window

Last edited by brokenhead; 02/17/2011 1:28 PM.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0