The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Otto Skorzeny), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68449 11/11/2006 6:10 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I know there are a bunch of you guys here that have built an AD truck. I need a rearend and would rather not pay the $$$ for a new nine inch Ford. Also I would rather not troll the junk yards for just the right mix in length and durability, be it a 10 inch chevy or whatever. Therefore if someone could tell me what brand, model and year they have used with success I would really appreciate it. BTW I will use leaf springs and drum brakes on the rear.
Thanks


~Jim
#68450 11/11/2006 6:37 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I have a 10-bolt Chevy from a '73 Chevelle wagon under my '55 1st GMC. Not sure I'd use one of those under a 3/4-ton if I really wanted to haul a load with it, but under my 1/2-ton Suburban it works great.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#68451 11/11/2006 6:51 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 47
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 47
Hey Big Chev, my '53 3600 has a Dana 60(8-lug)out of a '68 Ford. Width is real close to the original. Had to move the spring perches and shock mounts,adapt the brake line and drive shaft.Also needed big center hole wheels.Ratio is 3:70, much better than the stock 4:56 and I believe could be changed out to most any ratio, or posi. $$$

#68452 11/11/2006 8:47 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
id get one from a 3600 chevy should bolt right in

#68453 11/11/2006 5:13 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Will be running a SBC and 700-R4.


~Jim
#68454 11/12/2006 8:00 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
ive got a 383 with auto in one of my trucks and it has a caddy rear with lowering springs but it also has disk brakes and disk up front not on the road yet

#68455 11/15/2006 1:03 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 40
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 40
I did the same as Ironhead, I used a '79 Ford 250 (Dana 60)
with 8 lugs. Had to do the same as Ironhead on the mods.
(b-line,drive shaft, shock perch etc.). It is a little wider than the
original unit so I had the front rims reversed out 2" to
compensate for the tracking ! You can see a picture of
it in Classic Truck Mag. (Jan. 2007 / page 86). That will give
you an idea of what it will look like. The ratio is 3:54 &
Randy's Ring & Pinion makes a posi for it (had it installed
this last summer) ! Seems like a bullet proof unit to me !
Hope this helps, keep us posted on what you do !


'53 GMC "Ranger"
#68456 11/17/2006 8:37 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
From 1946-1972, all of the 3/4 and 1 ton axles have interchangable ring and pinion parts.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0