The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 3800GUY, Shade Baby, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#683671 10/06/2010 3:06 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2
Hello everyone,

I'm from Switzerland but can't tell you exactly why I got hooked up with old trucks from the U.S. instead of Ferraris.

Originally, I was looking for a 41' pickup or panel truck but ended up with a 1940 pickup - a long and cumbersome story thanks to a crooked car dealer in California. I brought the truck to Europe last May and already made 2000 miles over here. Now I got a problem with the (3 speed) transmission, the 3rd speed meshes but won't stay in for long.

It's my first vintage truck and I suppose there is so much to learn that I will never feel bored again. Know-how and parts are scarce here and I set off to find the right resources to keep my truck going. I know it's all out there.

A big thank you for running this site!!

George

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Welcome to the Stovebolt. I think you can find what you need here or at least directions to it. Great site and looks like you may have found just what you need.... a 40 pickup!!

Just in case you do not have a repair manual, which is highly recommended, you may find a lot of answers at the online manuals tha Keith Hardy has done such a wonderful job on. Here is the link the online manuals. Just click on it, read what it says and you'll find what your looking for.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Hi George, welcome! It's always nice to get members from afar, some would call you a Euro'bolter. I've been to Switzerland a few times, Bodensee/Rhein area.

I like the early '40's trucks a lot. I'm sure there aren't very many over there. Try asking about the transmission in the driveline forum, lot's of knowledge over there. Good luck.

Leo

Leo #683926 10/07/2010 5:29 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
A thought on your shifter problem from my experience, the shifter fork inside of the transmission can wear away and look almost like it was machined to that shape. Had that problem on my old 46 sedan. I was lucky enough to find a replacement in a junkyard that had old cars in a hidden section!

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Hi George, welcome from the most westerly side of Europe, It's always good to see another "Eurobolter" joining the ranks. wink
Without a doubt Stovebolt.com is one of the most informative and friendly old truck forums there is.
As Leo already mentioned,try asking in the driveline re; your trans and the answers will come.
Good luck.
Jock.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Welcome!

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2
Thanks a lot for your friendly comments!!
I know this belongs to the tech forums but I guess Mountain Man was right. I opened the top cover of the trans and checked the shifter forks. The one for the 2nd and 3rd gear is pretty worn and there's a lot of play. Thanks for the hint!

Seems that I've come to the right place and I did not even leave the welcome forum yet.

"Eurobolter" George



Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
Your classic must really stand out in Switzerland. My daughter lived near the Bodensee about 5 years, in Zurich about 5 years and near Lugano about 5 years and we visited her often. I don't recall seeing a US classic in Switzerland. Our daughter and son in law want their daughter educated in Switzerland, so they will probably be moving back soon. Welcome to the site.


Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0