| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,296 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#68173 11/04/2006 7:55 AM | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 121 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 121 | I don't know if this has been discussed here or not, but I believe if it has not it is worth mentioning. I ran across an article about the new oils that are lacking zddp, zinc dithiophosphate, an additive that is important in protecting against extreme pressure friction in engines, specificially the type encountered by a camshaft with flat tappets. The complete article is at: www.ttalk.info/zddp.htm. I believe there may be something to this, and for those of us with engines that do not have roller camshafts, it would be prudent to at least get more information about this to avoid trouble in the future. | | |
#68174 11/04/2006 11:41 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 | | | |
#68175 11/04/2006 3:45 PM | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 455 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 455 | Shell Rotella T SAE 30 (15W-40 for colder winters) works best and not only for cam break-in.
Another good one is Chevron Delo 400.
I heard even these will be reformulated starting in January. :confused: | | |
#68176 11/04/2006 7:33 PM | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 62 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 62 | The high mileage oils on the market have these additives. I found this out from the Mini forum I belong to. Seems that oil companies let us wear out our engines first, then give us the protection they need in their high mileage oils. I use Castrol 10W-30 or 40 depending on the temperature.
Jeff | | |
#68177 11/06/2006 2:50 AM | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 117 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 117 | Second that note from on the road again regarding Delo 400. I run it in my 261 with no oil filter, change it every 2000 miles and things look great.
cgresham1212 If you don't drive it, why have it? 55 1st Series 3100 5 window
| | |
#68178 11/06/2006 8:53 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | I use either Delo 400 or Rotella T in my 261, too. It's really starting to get clean under the valve cover. I also use it in my BMW 325i.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#68179 11/06/2006 7:43 PM | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 | I was told by my old car machinest guy that delo 400 was the right stuff.
I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson" | | |
| |
| |