The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 81 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68173 11/04/2006 7:55 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 121
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 121
I don't know if this has been discussed here or not, but I believe if it has not it is worth mentioning. I ran across an article about the new oils that are lacking zddp, zinc dithiophosphate, an additive that is important in protecting against extreme pressure friction in engines, specificially the type encountered by a camshaft with flat tappets. The complete article is at: www.ttalk.info/zddp.htm.

I believe there may be something to this, and for those of us with engines that do not have roller camshafts, it would be prudent to at least get more information about this to avoid trouble in the future.

#68174 11/04/2006 11:41 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662

#68175 11/04/2006 3:45 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
Shell Rotella T SAE 30 (15W-40 for colder winters) works best and not only for cam break-in.

Another good one is Chevron Delo 400.

I heard even these will be reformulated starting in January. :confused:


On the road every day...
1952 Truck - 235
1948 Coupe - 261
#68176 11/04/2006 7:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 62
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 62
The high mileage oils on the market have these additives. I found this out from the Mini forum I belong to. Seems that oil companies let us wear out our engines first, then give us the protection they need in their high mileage oils. I use Castrol 10W-30 or 40 depending on the temperature.

Jeff

#68177 11/06/2006 2:50 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 117
Second that note from on the road again regarding Delo 400. I run it in my 261 with no oil filter, change it every 2000 miles and things look great.


cgresham1212
If you don't drive it, why have it?
55 1st Series 3100 5 window
#68178 11/06/2006 8:53 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I use either Delo 400 or Rotella T in my 261, too. It's really starting to get clean under the valve cover. I also use it in my BMW 325i.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#68179 11/06/2006 7:43 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
I was told by my old car machinest guy that delo 400 was the right stuff.


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0