The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 188 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,441
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
I posted to the welcome forum last week about my 1948 1.5 ton that I got in April. You can see pictures of her there if you are interested. She is in pretty good shape and rust is not a problem on her.
My truck has a hydrovac booster and I've search the site for answers about bleeding and filling but haven't found anything helpful. It is suggested to fill the power cylinder with air tool oil and fill the hydraulic part with brake fluid...looking at the drawings it is not clear to me where these places are located. I'm guessing the power cylinder is filled at the little square plug about 3/4" of and inch from the bottom of the unit...where do you add the brake fluid? Do you just fill it from the master cylinder under the cab floor and force it thru the hydrovac or is there a place on the hydrovac to add brake fluid? I know it sounds stupid but I don't want to add the wrong in the wrong...u know? Thanks for any help.
Motoswiz


1948 Chevrolet 1.5-Ton Dually
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Motoswiz
North Florida
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
there's a good hydrovac build tip here, should learn ya all about'em

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
Thanks Bill, yeah, I read all that and it still doesn't address adding brake fluid to the hydrovac unit itself...I guess I just pump it from the main under cab cylinder. there is a plug on the top of the unit but the drawing and part description don't address it becasue it is on the other side of the drawing.


1948 Chevrolet 1.5-Ton Dually
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Motoswiz
North Florida
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Use a pressure bleeder at the master cylinder. Your hydrovac probably looks something like this. http://picasaweb.google.com/crenwel...V-EjYHMFbfQmBCHVMQYg#5513221911802295266 There are 2 bleeders. Bleed No. 1 first, then No. 2 and then the wheel cylinders.

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 42
Very similar to the one in that picture, crenwelge, but mine is longer in the main cylinder section. ...thanks for posting it. I'm charging my camera batteries so I can post a couple pix of the plugs.
Thanks,


1948 Chevrolet 1.5-Ton Dually
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Motoswiz
North Florida
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Originally Posted by Motoswiz
It is suggested to fill the power cylinder with air tool oil and fill the hydraulic part with brake fluid...looking at the drawings it is not clear to me where these places are located. I'm guessing the power cylinder is filled at the little square plug about 3/4" of and inch from the bottom of the unit...where do you add the brake fluid? Do you just fill it from the master cylinder under the cab floor and force it thru the hydrovac or is there a place on the hydrovac to add brake fluid?

Simply put, yes. You won't need more than an ounce or two of fluid in actually lubricating the power cylinder.

The internal parts are lubricated as the brake fluid passes through the hydraulic cylinder. There aren't any other places to add fluid.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 32
5
Apprentice
Apprentice
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 32
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/

There is a section dedicated to just the hydrovac booster. I'm sure that it will tell you how to service the unit.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0