The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Jon G, DadsFirstPickup, 1955 1 Series, Wrenchman), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,305
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
J
JFG
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
I need to know if there is some special way to remove an inside door handle that is stuck on hard. It's in a 53 1/2 ton.

I have completely removed the set screw. I've tried prying with a large screwdriver, and put some nut-loosener in there (not sure much of it actually got in).
I am considering using a crowbar but worry that will damage handle bracket on the regulator. A less appealing option I have considered is to cut the handle apart with a grinder, but I really want to keep the original.

I have to remove the handle to install a door panel.

Any ideas will help.
Thanks.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Your mention of a set screw is puzzling. Your handle should be held on by one of these. To remove said clip you'll need one of these. Both are available at nearly all vendors. Those I linked to are at The Filling Station.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
JFG, shine a light into the hole where you removed the screw and see if there is another screw in there. My 53 had a set screw and a cap screw on top of that.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I think that JFG is referring to a set screw such as these (originals where not hex insert, however).

Maybe someone else will answer but I dimly recall the set screw being "topped" but another screw in some of the inside door handles I have removed?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I have taken off an original many years ago and remember there is a "set screw" that is put in with a flat head screwdriver. After it is tightened there was a "top screw" that went in behind it. I wonder why they did that but I figure it was and early way to keep the first one from backing out???

Both, the set screw and the cover screw can be purchased from most vendors.

If you have to cut the door handle off let me know. I have an original I would let you have just to help you out.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
J
JFG
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
A-ha. It sounds like maybe the screw I took out was a 'top screw' as you guys are describing. It was about 1/4" in diameter, much bigger than you would expect for a set screw. I'll take a look into the hole tomorrow to see if there is a second screw in there. I suspect there is. I'm glad I didn't resort to the crowbar yet.

Thanks for the offer of an original handle, Chipmunk... let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
J
JFG
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 33
Turned out that big one *was* the set screw. So I put alot of penetrating oil on the shaft and after it sat a while I got it to pop by carefully using my crowbar. I think the handle must've been pounded on by the PO. My guess is that since the head of the screw is a bit distorted, it might not have been tightened well enough to hold the handle securely. It'll probably keep falling off now like the window crank does!

Thanks for the advice... I just wanted to hear some before I started any brute force stuff.

John.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
OK guys so when did Chevy stop using the horseshoe clips? I remember them being used well into the '60s when I was a body man. Other brands used set screws but all GM cars & trucks I ever worked on had the clips. What am I missing.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
I don't recall any older trucks with the C clips Tiny, just cars until late 60's I believe

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
OK I guess. I know my rememberer doesn't work as well as it once did AND I HAVE slept a time or two since then so it's possible I'm wrong. grin You'd think after all these years that crow would start tasting a bit better. ohwell


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Tiny,

"OK guys so when did Chevy stop using the horseshoe clips? I remember them being used well into the '60s when I was a body man."

The better question to those of us that have limited experience is not "when did they stop using" - we would ask "when did they start using . . . ".

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
My 54 chevy has the set screws. I remember the clips, but they came later. We used a hacksaw blade to catch the edge of the clip and pop it off.
On my 58,I drilled and threaded a hole thru the handles into the shaft. The 8x32 screw keeps the handles from coming off unless you want them off.It aint origional, but it works.


1954 Chevy Half-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Shutterfly
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

<> + <> + <> + <> + <>
"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~~ OLD FROG
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Is it possible previous owner used some kind of glue or JB weld ? Shaft may have been stripped.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 89
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 89
for the newer style clips, get a 6" length of fairly heavy coathanger (the dark colored not the thinner white ones), bend one end into a loop to hold onto and a small right angle bend on the other end maybe 1/8 to 3/16 long.
use this as a catch on the backside of the clip and pull.
just don't let that clip go flying... these old eyes have a hard time finding them again.


it ain't YOURS 'till it ain't stock!

1951 chevy 3100

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0