The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (dt235sd, Opelika Tom, tclederman, DBJ71SuperCustom), 81 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,078
Posts1,056,285
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#671114 08/17/2010 11:18 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
I'm still kinda reeling, last week I stocked up on some primer, sealer, sandpaper, ect $300. Today I needed paint, reducer, hardner, and a new respirator $600. Its been awhile since I bought paint but $185.00 for a quart, it's a special mix, but really! I now have more invested in paint materials than I paid for all 4 of my projects!!! Next time better get Maco?

Last edited by cletis; 08/18/2010 2:57 AM. Reason: Clarified title
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
Sounds like you have a good product quality to start with .I can remember a few hundred could pay for all that in the old days!


Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
$185 for a quart of paint is absurd and you have every right to be shocked. What kind of paint and what color are we talking about here?


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I don't know current prices but whenever I buy some I'm shocked at the cost, even when I was getting it through the shop I worked at and I'm sure it was a good/fair price.
Good paint is expensive!

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
Originally Posted by Czechman
$185 for a quart of paint is absurd and you have every right to be shocked. What kind of paint and what color are we talking about here?


$185/qt for quality automotive paint is a bargain. Depending on type and color, it can go for a LOT more than that.

Where's the bodyman's "stimulus package"????

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by waldo53
$185/qt for quality automotive paint is a bargain. Depending on type and color, it can go for a LOT more than that.

That's why I want to know what kind of paint we're talking here. I bought 2K PPG paint for my truck in all of the original matching colors and never paid more than $40 for a quart... period.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
My receipt: Delstar Acrylic Enamel= 3 qts PPG DARSC-Q "prophet green" list $189.66ea. My cost $151.78ea. 1 gal reducer my cost $53.60, 1 pint hardner $28.56. The last time I purchased any paint was 2006! Little did I know that the Burb would require over 2 gals of paint, inside and out!

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
I just got back from my friendly PPG dealer. The guy ahead of me carried out a gallon of paint, I couldn't help overhearing the transaction - $1300 and some change!!! Just for the paint.

So I asked the counterman about paint prices. Of course they vary between quality, and color mixes but anywhere in the
$100 to $400 a quart range is typical according to him. So I asked him what was the high-end paint going for - he reached back and grabbed a 6 oz.(!!!) bottle of something and said it sold for $325. Egad!!!!

Fortunately, I only needed wet/dry paper today.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
My farm and tractor enamel looks better every day. $30/gallon


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by FriedGreenTmater
My farm and tractor enamel looks better every day. $30/gallon

I couldn't agree more! I keep hearing people bad mouth using Rustoleum or Farm Implement paint, etc. But for the do it yourself gang that don't want metallic paint it is the most economical choice, hands down.


In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
There a couple of threads on the HAMB, one is current right now, detailing a $30 paint job using Rustoleum paint. 30 bucks was for the whole kit and caboodle. Within the thread is reference to a rolled on paint job on a Corvair. It looks terrific over 3 years later.
In the "New Economic Reality" that looks to be a pretty viable alternative to spending the long dollar on a pro paint job. It certainly has my attention for my Suburban project. All that roof area and all!

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by Yakimabowtie
My receipt: Delstar Acrylic Enamel= 3 qts PPG DARSC-Q "prophet green" list $189.66ea. My cost $151.78ea. 1 gal reducer my cost $53.60, 1 pint hardner $28.56.

$150 for a quart of Acrylic Enamel? Yikes!

Last week at NCS: One quart of Nason Ful-Thane Gloss Back $35.95, Activator: $28.80.

October, 2009: One gallon Nason Ful-thane Seacrest Green $134.65, One pint Activator $45.79, One quart of Reducer $8.75

Every time I buy paint they load me up with free strainers and stir sticks... I must have 100 of each by now.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
Originally Posted by FriedGreenTmater
My farm and tractor enamel looks better every day. $30/gallon

At $300 a gallon I can paint my truck ten times W/ F+T enamel!!!


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 126
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 126
I'm planning on using Hot Rod Flatz on mine, its $150 or so for a gallon of paint, reducer, and hardner. But I don't want a show quality job, it all depends what you're after doesn't it? If you are building a $40,000 "Dentist and Lawyer Hobbyist Special" then you probably are gonna drop a fortune on paint. If you're doing it yourself and work for a living, the cheaper paint suddenly doesn't look so bad!

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Let's keep in mind that there's a difference between "cheap" and inexpensive.

Cheap implies poor quality. Inexpensive implies a good price.

I don't buy cheap anything. I look for the biggest bang for the buck and I'm more than satisfied with my paint.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Well said Woody. I'll put my "cheap" amateur paint job up against some "professional" paint jobs this weekend at the local show.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
Maybe this explains why so many people are going with the black primer look! I personally don't care for that, but I suppose it beats paying that kind of money for paint.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 126
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 126
Thats what I meant, Czechman...Thanks for clarifying that!


Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
I guess a lot depends on what you want and what it's going on. If it's a 57 Chevy convertible or a Hemi Superbird then you can spend $1000 a gallon and laugh about it but when I repainted my car trailer recently I went to Tractor Supply and got the $30 stuff. I'd throw a person out of the shop that wanted to el-cheapo the paint on a Duece 3 window.


Evan
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I am painting my truck corvette yellow and of course that color, along with red, seem to be the most expensive hues. I guess the yellow requires a bit more for opaque coverage to boot.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0