Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Bill Trotter, mick53, GIJOE298, Mike'sPlace, Otto Skorzeny, Hush, 1 invisible),
77
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,080 Posts1,056,288 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | I'm still kinda reeling, last week I stocked up on some primer, sealer, sandpaper, ect $300. Today I needed paint, reducer, hardner, and a new respirator $600. Its been awhile since I bought paint but $185.00 for a quart, it's a special mix, but really! I now have more invested in paint materials than I paid for all 4 of my projects!!! Next time better get Maco?
Last edited by cletis; 08/18/2010 2:57 AM. Reason: Clarified title
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 | Sounds like you have a good product quality to start with .I can remember a few hundred could pay for all that in the old days! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | $185 for a quart of paint is absurd and you have every right to be shocked. What kind of paint and what color are we talking about here? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I don't know current prices but whenever I buy some I'm shocked at the cost, even when I was getting it through the shop I worked at and I'm sure it was a good/fair price. Good paint is expensive!
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | $185 for a quart of paint is absurd and you have every right to be shocked. What kind of paint and what color are we talking about here? $185/qt for quality automotive paint is a bargain. Depending on type and color, it can go for a LOT more than that. Where's the bodyman's "stimulus package"???? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | $185/qt for quality automotive paint is a bargain. Depending on type and color, it can go for a LOT more than that. That's why I want to know what kind of paint we're talking here. I bought 2K PPG paint for my truck in all of the original matching colors and never paid more than $40 for a quart... period. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | My receipt: Delstar Acrylic Enamel= 3 qts PPG DARSC-Q "prophet green" list $189.66ea. My cost $151.78ea. 1 gal reducer my cost $53.60, 1 pint hardner $28.56. The last time I purchased any paint was 2006! Little did I know that the Burb would require over 2 gals of paint, inside and out! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | I just got back from my friendly PPG dealer. The guy ahead of me carried out a gallon of paint, I couldn't help overhearing the transaction - $1300 and some change!!! Just for the paint.
So I asked the counterman about paint prices. Of course they vary between quality, and color mixes but anywhere in the $100 to $400 a quart range is typical according to him. So I asked him what was the high-end paint going for - he reached back and grabbed a 6 oz.(!!!) bottle of something and said it sold for $325. Egad!!!!
Fortunately, I only needed wet/dry paper today. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | My farm and tractor enamel looks better every day. $30/gallon | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | My farm and tractor enamel looks better every day. $30/gallon I couldn't agree more! I keep hearing people bad mouth using Rustoleum or Farm Implement paint, etc. But for the do it yourself gang that don't want metallic paint it is the most economical choice, hands down. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 | There a couple of threads on the HAMB, one is current right now, detailing a $30 paint job using Rustoleum paint. 30 bucks was for the whole kit and caboodle. Within the thread is reference to a rolled on paint job on a Corvair. It looks terrific over 3 years later. In the "New Economic Reality" that looks to be a pretty viable alternative to spending the long dollar on a pro paint job. It certainly has my attention for my Suburban project. All that roof area and all! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | My receipt: Delstar Acrylic Enamel= 3 qts PPG DARSC-Q "prophet green" list $189.66ea. My cost $151.78ea. 1 gal reducer my cost $53.60, 1 pint hardner $28.56. $150 for a quart of Acrylic Enamel? Yikes! Last week at NCS: One quart of Nason Ful-Thane Gloss Back $35.95, Activator: $28.80. October, 2009: One gallon Nason Ful-thane Seacrest Green $134.65, One pint Activator $45.79, One quart of Reducer $8.75 Every time I buy paint they load me up with free strainers and stir sticks... I must have 100 of each by now. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 ODSS President | | ODSS President Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 1,424 | My farm and tractor enamel looks better every day. $30/gallon At $300 a gallon I can paint my truck ten times W/ F+T enamel!!!
~ Cosmo 1949 Chevy Half Ton Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. "...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 126 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 126 | I'm planning on using Hot Rod Flatz on mine, its $150 or so for a gallon of paint, reducer, and hardner. But I don't want a show quality job, it all depends what you're after doesn't it? If you are building a $40,000 "Dentist and Lawyer Hobbyist Special" then you probably are gonna drop a fortune on paint. If you're doing it yourself and work for a living, the cheaper paint suddenly doesn't look so bad! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Let's keep in mind that there's a difference between "cheap" and inexpensive.
Cheap implies poor quality. Inexpensive implies a good price.
I don't buy cheap anything. I look for the biggest bang for the buck and I'm more than satisfied with my paint. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Well said Woody. I'll put my "cheap" amateur paint job up against some "professional" paint jobs this weekend at the local show. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,988 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,988 | Maybe this explains why so many people are going with the black primer look! I personally don't care for that, but I suppose it beats paying that kind of money for paint. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 126 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 126 | Thats what I meant, Czechman...Thanks for clarifying that!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | I guess a lot depends on what you want and what it's going on. If it's a 57 Chevy convertible or a Hemi Superbird then you can spend $1000 a gallon and laugh about it but when I repainted my car trailer recently I went to Tractor Supply and got the $30 stuff. I'd throw a person out of the shop that wanted to el-cheapo the paint on a Duece 3 window.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | I am painting my truck corvette yellow and of course that color, along with red, seem to be the most expensive hues. I guess the yellow requires a bit more for opaque coverage to boot. | | |
| |