The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gdads51, Bill Hanlon, WICruiser, classicfins, Rick Brown, Youngin' Tut 59), 141 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,594
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Guys, first off- I'm a newbie, but do have decent shade-tree skills.
I have a 235 engine in my 1950 chevy and have no clue how long it has been sitting...this is what I have done so far, removed flywheel cover (anyone need walnut shells?) and moved flywheel manually. It rotates good, there was one hard spot that too a bit more exersion on the prybar to spin than at any other time. I pulled the distributor and made a tool to go into the slot on the oil pump and spun it with my drill. After some spinning some clear liquid, maybe tablespoonfull, (my guess- water) came out of the top of lifter 4 and 5, then oil came out. oil eventually came out of 3, 4, 5, 6 lifters then oil began to spill out of the oil filter canister. I stopped spinning the oil pump when that happened. New condensor, points and rotor button installed on the distributor. I set the point gap to .022. New 12V external resistor (no resistor hooked up), 12V battery, 6V starter from an old 216. Marked the flywheel bb and lined it up with the pointer on the sight hole. Installed the distributor cap and put the plug wires in the 153624 order in a clockwise rotation on the dist. Checked spark off the coil, and it was good and strong. spark to the wires was good too. I do not have the radiator hooked up, so no coolant, and the fuel lines are not installed either. Squirted a bit of oil in each plug hole. I ran the starter a few times without the plug wires hooked up and the coil got very hot?
My questions...
I just want to hear it sputter to let me know this thing does have life in it before going any further. The water that came out...should I be concerned about it for initial fire up. I will not be running this engine long at all, no more than a minute. Do I need coolant? Should I be concerned about the oil spilling out of the oil filter canister and no oil coming out of some of the lifters? very hot coil? what else am I missing. I don't want to do more harm than good on this engine, so I'm open to your questions/suggestions.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
You're ok running the motor for a minute or so, what you've done so far sounds good especially spinning the oil pump. Squirt a bit of gas in the carb to help it get started. Go for it and report back.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
what about the very hot coil? will oil continue to spill from the canister- is there some sort of blockage I need to look for? oil did not come out of the top of all lifters, is that an issue at this point?

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
You may need a new gasket for the oil filter but I'd still attempt to fire the motor just to see how she runs. The coil may be bad but it may have enough life to test the motor.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
it is a brand new 12V coil. would the deep cycle marine battery that I'm firing off of have anything to do with it, or that the coil is an external resistor coil- without a resistor hooked up?

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Update:
no fire...not even a sputter...thought about shooting a squirt of starter fluid into #1 plug, but not sure tha tis a good idea.
I did shoot a couple quick shots into the carb and that didn't do anything. do I need to have choke a certain way or the throttle linkage simulating it being WOT

Last edited by vintage_car; 08/17/2010 8:17 PM.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
The BB is positioned at 5 degrees before TDC on a 216 flywheel and 2 degrees after on a later 235 which alone may be enough difference to make it not want to fire. Secondly the BB shows up in the window both when #1 is at TDC and also #6 so being 180 degrees out is also a possibility. Try this procedure to set timing for startup:

http://speedprint.com/deves50/doc/enginetiming.pdf




1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
The coil situation sounds suspect to me. Try using a resistor and see if that doesn't help the heat problem.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
V
New Guy
New Guy
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
where is the resistor installed on the coil? hot wire between starter and coil, or neg wire between coil and dist.

as for the static timing...holy crap I didn't know there was that much to static timing this engine!


Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 137
hot wire between starter and coil, I believe


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0