Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (klhansen, 37 GC, 1 invisible),
73
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,112 Posts1,056,577 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 9 | Guys, first off- I'm a newbie, but do have decent shade-tree skills. I have a 235 engine in my 1950 chevy and have no clue how long it has been sitting...this is what I have done so far, removed flywheel cover (anyone need walnut shells?) and moved flywheel manually. It rotates good, there was one hard spot that too a bit more exersion on the prybar to spin than at any other time. I pulled the distributor and made a tool to go into the slot on the oil pump and spun it with my drill. After some spinning some clear liquid, maybe tablespoonfull, (my guess- water) came out of the top of lifter 4 and 5, then oil came out. oil eventually came out of 3, 4, 5, 6 lifters then oil began to spill out of the oil filter canister. I stopped spinning the oil pump when that happened. New condensor, points and rotor button installed on the distributor. I set the point gap to .022. New 12V external resistor (no resistor hooked up), 12V battery, 6V starter from an old 216. Marked the flywheel bb and lined it up with the pointer on the sight hole. Installed the distributor cap and put the plug wires in the 153624 order in a clockwise rotation on the dist. Checked spark off the coil, and it was good and strong. spark to the wires was good too. I do not have the radiator hooked up, so no coolant, and the fuel lines are not installed either. Squirted a bit of oil in each plug hole. I ran the starter a few times without the plug wires hooked up and the coil got very hot? My questions... I just want to hear it sputter to let me know this thing does have life in it before going any further. The water that came out...should I be concerned about it for initial fire up. I will not be running this engine long at all, no more than a minute. Do I need coolant? Should I be concerned about the oil spilling out of the oil filter canister and no oil coming out of some of the lifters? very hot coil? what else am I missing. I don't want to do more harm than good on this engine, so I'm open to your questions/suggestions. | | | |
Entire Thread
|
235 engine, long nap, trying to wake it up.(long)
| vintage_car | 08/17/2010 4:12 PM |
Re: 235 engine, long nap, trying to wake it up.(long)
| JiMerit Boltr#43 | 08/17/2010 6:58 PM |
Re: 235 engine, long nap, trying to wake it up.(long)
| vintage_car | 08/17/2010 7:30 PM |
Re: 235 engine, long nap, trying to wake it up.(long)
| JiMerit Boltr#43 | 08/17/2010 7:42 PM |
Re: 235 engine, long nap, trying to wake it up.(long)
| vintage_car | 08/17/2010 8:14 PM |
Re: 235 engine, long nap, trying to wake it up.(long)
| vintage_car | 08/17/2010 8:16 PM |
Re: 235 engine, long nap, trying to wake it up.(long)
| Curt B. | 08/17/2010 9:24 PM |
Re: 235 engine, long nap, trying to wake it up.(long)
| 53moneypit | 08/17/2010 9:50 PM |
Re: 235 engine, long nap, trying to wake it up.(long)
| vintage_car | 08/17/2010 10:04 PM |
Re: 235 engine, long nap, trying to wake it up.(long)
| chicklin | 08/18/2010 2:57 AM | |
| |