| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I don't see any spacers, what I see is the hub. The difference is the new axle has the drums mounted inboard of the hubs and the original had them outside the hubs.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 | The problem I've got is that this axle is 2 1/2" wider from mounting surface to mounting surface. I guess I can swap back to the '57 axle and change pumpkins. Is there an easier way to fix this?
'64 swb stepside (gone) '57 1 ton '53 phone truck '59 swb '46 1 1/2 ton '68 swb gmc
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | What distance do you need from mounting surface to mounting surface? possibly a different axle or simply different hubs will solve the problem. Also, what model axle do you have? Is it a GM "__ bolt" axle, or something different? I found a 14 bolt that's about 62.75" for my 52 single wheel 1 ton, look here for info on it and links to measurements for other 14 bolt options https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=599879#Post599879Grigg | | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 | The '57 axle that was original to the truck is approximately 53" from mounting surface to mounting surface. The '70 axle is 55.5". I need the 53" dimension to make the rear wheel track width close to the same as the front. It doesn't look right to me now with the wider rear wheel positions. Both axles are HO72. The '57 axle has 4.56 gears and the '70 axle has 4.10 posi. I had a neighbor who was a mechanic and needed some work so I asked him to switch the pumpkins for me. He switched the entire axles instead, thinking he was doing me a favor. Sadly, he got sick shortly after doing the switch and passed away a couple of weeks ago. As the saying goes, "no good deed goes unpunished." So I guess my punishment will be to change the axles back and switch the pumpkins. What to heck; this is not a good hobby to play with if you're alergic to wrenches.
'64 swb stepside (gone) '57 1 ton '53 phone truck '59 swb '46 1 1/2 ton '68 swb gmc
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Sounds like you already have the solution.
Investigate your axles, hubs, and measurements to be sure swapping hubs and brakes (if possible) is not a better possibility than changing complete axle housings.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 65 old truck heaven | | old truck heaven Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 65 | Most all 1967-72 Chevy 3/4ton pumpkins with fit right in the 1946-66 1-ton housing and you can use your original axels, bearings, brakes etc. I finished a swap about 5 months ago putting a 4.10 pumpkin from a 1972 Chevy 3/4 ton into a 1946 Chevy 1-ton housing....bolts right up. They must be the EATON full floating rear end. Brian | | |
| |
| |